Thread: OS Questions - Ubuntu 6.06.2 or 8.04

Default OS Questions - Ubuntu 6.06.2 or 8.04

OK, I've used Ubuntu 6.06.1 and plan to use 6.06.2, but I don't see it listed as a supported OS specifically. Will the current binaries work? Will I have an unsupported OS even though the .2 version is essentially updates?

Also, 8.04 is out and seemingly stable. Will there be official binaries out soon? I found community binaries for 64bit that work from what I have read. Will I be able to install with this and upgrade once the official version is out? And will this maintain my paid support when I go that route?

Not all of us have the budgets for Suse ES or RHEL, what would be the best OS choice in regards to support for Zimbra, OS reliability, and OS ease of use. Or should I just let my VP's know that we just need to shell out for an enterprise ready Linux OS?

On a side note. If I were to install on OpenSuse or CentOS, with them as officially unsupported operating systems, what could I realistically expect in the way of support from Zimbra?
    Last edited by quietas; 05-01-2008 at 09:59 AM.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Don't use the community builds if you expect any form of support from Zimbra.
    Don't use the community builds if you run NE.
    Don't use the community builds on valuable data, at least until they're tested more.
    Don't use the official NE builds on anything other than the precise, exact OS they are released for. Put it to your VPs this way, for the cost of about £200, whatever the basic price of SLES/RHEL is these days, you get an enterprise, supported, commerical grade OS to run your company's main communication platform on. No-brainer. If you don't want to pay, run Ubuntu - I can't comment on the .2 version but can't see it being an issue. Don't you get that by installing .1 and doing apt-get upgrade?

As far as I know .2 is just .1 updated. I just thought it was weird that the System Requirements PDF mentions .1 specifically, .2 works fine though.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

I suspect it's just because that was the slightly odd official LTS release version! It's vital on any server to keep it updated, within the current version, so I guess it's OK? Would be interesting to hear confirmation from Zimbra on that.

Quote Originally Posted by quietas View Post
    As far as I know .2 is just .1 updated. I just thought it was weird that the System Requirements PDF mentions .1 specifically, .2 works fine though.
    This is true. A fully apt-get updated 6.06.1 will show as 6.06.2. At least mine does.
    Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    I suspect it's just because that was the slightly odd official LTS release version! It's vital on any server to keep it updated, within the current version, so I guess it's OK? Would be interesting to hear confirmation from Zimbra on that.
    That's the whole rationale for going with the LTS versions, isn't it? Because patches will continue to be available for that version, for the committed timeframe?
    Cheers,

Dan