I realize the subject might be a little strange but bear with me. After picking through the Debian packages and generating a list of all the files they install, I realized it's probably a waste of time to try and integrate Zimbra with Debian's versions of the same core applications like apache, mysql, posftix, etc, etc. So I'm leaving them in /opt and removing the MTA. I don't really like exim anyway...

But I'm running low on computers and I don't want to dedicate an entire machine to Zimbra so I'm installing it on my desktop, which I use as a server for small things anyway. I also do some web app development work and like to have an apache and mysql installation on there to break.

Since Zimbra puts everything in /opt, including shared libraries, would it be possible to keep apache and mysql installed through debian but use them outside of Zimbra, listening on a different port? I don't see why this wouldn't work as the Zimbra binaries appear to be completely sepperated from the Debian ones of the same name.

-l