Thread: New Domain vs Virtual Host

Default New Domain vs Virtual Host

I'm not clear on the distinction and what the difference is. I would really appreciate someone providing me with a simpleton level explanation.

Right now the Exchange server I'll be replacing receives mail for two domains, mydomain.com and myotherdomain.com.

I installed Zimbra using the mydomain.com domain, but need to have the other domain running on it too before I take the new box live on June 1. mydomain.com is working fine right now, I can send email from it and when i change my static route on my firewall to point to zimbra instead of exchange it receives email as well.

Also, I setup the server using split dns, do I need to modify the hosts, named.conf, resolv.conf and any other files to reflect the addition of the myotherdomain.com?

Thanks In Advance

Quote Originally Posted by bubarooni View Post
    I'm not clear on the distinction and what the difference is. I would really appreciate someone providing me with a simpleton level explanation.
    Have a look at Managing domains for some possibilities on domains. What you do will largely depend on how you use the two current domains and if users are aliased between the two etc. If you use aliases, you might like to read this thread.

mydomain.com is working fine right now, I can send email from it and when i change my static route on my firewall to point to zimbra instead of exchange it receives email as well.
    Sounds good! Looks like you have your split DNS working correctly.

Also, I setup the server using split dns, do I need to modify the hosts, named.conf, resolv.conf and any other files to reflect the addition of the myotherdomain.com?
    Yes. Zimbra will need to resolve each domain it is responsible for to itself. So all you should need to do is to create an additional zone file like you did for mydomain.com, but for myotherdomain.com.
    Last edited by webman; 05-16-2008 at 09:54 AM.
    Craig Rodway » Flickr | Last.fm | Del.icio.us | Twitter

read those docs, but i'm a little dense on the topic. well, let me try it this way and maybe someone can point me in the right direction:

existing domain = domain.com and has about 150 users

domain to add = myotherdomain.com and has about 7 users, three of whom also exist in domain.com

both of these domains have an mx record that points to the current email server.

in exchange 5.5 i created an email address for joe_schmoe@domain.com and joe_schmoe@myotherdomain.com so that those three users could login to both email accounts and send emails with the right domain name.

so should i just add another real vs virtual domain?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Why don't you try this. You have domain.com with all your users in, create another domain name myotherdomain.com and for joe_schmoe@domain.com give him an alias of joe_schmoe@myotherdomain.com - all the mail for joe_schmoe ends up in one Inbox and then use the 'persona' feature to reply to those emails with the correct info. Your users will only login to domain.com and not have two different sets of login information. The 'Persona' feature is on Preference/Accounts tab for the user, as the Admin you create the alias and they configure the Persona and the reply details. See if that fits your requirements.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

that sounds perfect! thanks for the heads up!

I'm running a similar config that phoenix speaks of. Works nicely.