Thread: Zimbra 5.06 - Move from Centos5 32bit to Ubuntu6 64bit

Smile Zimbra 5.06 - Move from Centos5 32bit to Ubuntu6 64bit

Hi Guys

I just moved our Zimbra install from Centos 5 32-bit to Ubuntu 6 LTS 64, following these instructions, Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki
    and this thread as a guide, http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...ew-server.html

Everything went OK and the server is up and running. Simply fantastic.

There were only two extra things I had to do:
    1. SSH keys for the Zimbra user had to be re-generated, I was experiencing this problem http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...r-details.html
    2. I also ran the /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms (as root) script to update permissions after moving the data directories and before starting the Zimbra server for the first time (step 8 in the wiki).

Question 1: I noticed that the zimbra.log now contains a LOT SLAPD debug messages which makes it pretty hard to read the logs. I don't know if this is a Ubuntu option or Zimbra 5.06. Does anyone know how to reduce the log level for SLAPD?

Question 2: The Wiki page, Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki states that it is safe to delete /opt/zimbra/backup/*. This has GREATLY reduced the size of the installation, we've been using Zimbra since R3. Looking into that directory I can see a lot of 'upgrade' backups which seem redundant. Should it be a regular administrative task to delete this directory and perform a full backup? Thereby clearing out all the old backup data.

Thanks for the great documentation which made life much easier and the whole process much faster.

Glad it worked out for you...just did the same thing (though RHEL 32 to RHEL 64). I ran into a snag with uid/gid differences, but once I resolved that it was smooth sailing.

I can answer #2 for you. Generally when you do version upgrades that have a difference in backup structure you get a pre-XXXX in your backups folder, this is safe to delete or archive whenever you want. I would expect you wouldn't want that automatically deleted. You can also setup your retention period of current backups using zmbackupschedule

Great, thanks for the info.