Thread: message-id is xxx@localhostname

Default message-id is xxx@localhostname

Hello,
    I have installed zcs5 on centos5 , looks everything is ok.. no errors in zimbra.log, only one thing is when I send mails to yahoo (maybe to other big mail providers also) they go to spam directly and reach mailbox on yahoo in long time..and they appear in Deffered queue first.. why it's like that? is it normal thing?
    I found that message-ID in mail header looks like: xxx@localhostname .. is it ok? I think it should be like xxx@mydomain.name.com am I right? And how to change that in zimbra ..
    Thanks
    Last edited by extremal; 06-03-2008 at 03:55 AM.

The first thing to check are your DNS records. You need an MX record, an A record and reverse DNS. Without these three records most mail services will route you to spam.

If it's any consolation, my DNS records are complete and Yahoo will still from time to time route me to spam. Sometimes yes sometimes no. I'm not on any RBL list either. Go figure.

Thank you Bill,
    checked with google and it was ok... looks yahoo checks mails in its own way.

One other strange thing
    sendin to hotmail doesn't work .. however when I reply to some mail from hotmail , it works fine .. can someone explain why?

I believe because Message-ID is not FQDN format. I found that if I use imap client, the Message-ID is FQDN and I can send to hotmail.

I also am searching for a way to change Message-ID coming from web interface. Would anyone know how to do that?

Thank you,
    Tod

as I understand, message-ID doesn't cause such problems, for example when I send mails using Outlook it assign my computer name to Message-ID..
    I contacted Hotmail regarding my problem they told me to change spf record in DNS
    to v="spf1 a mx -all" however I changed to v="spf1 a mx ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -all" where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is one of my mailserver Ip addresses .. and it works fine now!

check your /etc/hosts zimbra puts hostname as message-id
    Last edited by extremal; 06-10-2008 at 12:08 PM.