Thread: Moving zimbra from Ubuntu 6.06 to same

Hybrid View

Default Moving zimbra from Ubuntu 6.06 to same

Howdy all,
    I have been using zimbra for about 2 years now, it has been on a ubuntu 6.06 machine and we just got a shiny machine and I am trying to move zimbra. I installed ubuntu 6.06, followed the server migration instructions on: Zimbra :: Blog » Moving ZCS to Another Server
    Naturally the installation of zimbra (5.0.0GA) with the -s switch works, then I copy over the data (which I have checked with size and number of files just in case) and then I run the installer just plain like and I get:

Code:
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig: line 39: exec: java: not found
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.06052008-233416.log
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    Setting defaults...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig: line 39: exec: java: not found
    Password:
    Sorry, try again.
    Password:
    Sorry, try again.
    Password:
    Sorry, try again.
    sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts
    done.
    Setting defaults from existing config...done.
    Checking for port conflicts
    Starting ldap...failed with exit code 256.
    Now, I have tried following what I thought was applicable advice from the forums: A symbolic link from the jre in the /opt/zimbra dir to /jre, and I am quite certain neither ldap, or anything else other than the smallest install of ubuntu provides, is running. I have also tried to just continue with the install, but after configuring all the settings, zimbra won't let me save, complaining about ldap.

I figured the password is actually blank, and if I put that in, the zimbra says that the "Upgrade" failed and cannot continue. I just started up the old server and zmcontrol -v says "Release 5.0.0_GA_1869.UBUNTU6 UBUNTU6 FOSS edition" which is the version I am installing to.. Ideas?

Thank you for any and all help,

Greg

In case it's relative, I have moved zimbra once before, (with the same instructions) and it worked nicely. I started out with 4.5.X and upgraded to 5.0.0GA.
    Last edited by tseinc; 06-05-2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: realized password

Is there anything useful in /tmp/zmsetup.06052008-233416.log? (or whichever it's created)

I don't install any different JRE for Zimbra, I just use the one in the package. Ubuntu doesn't install one by default either. Your java is probably at /opt/zimbra/java/bin/java (/opt/zimbra/java should be a symlink to whichever version 5.0.0 uses)

Did you install the ssh server? For whatever reason, Ubuntu doesn't install that by default, which boggles my mind.

The zimbra user shouldn't be assigned a password. It gets NOPASSWD in /etc/sudoers for all its needs.

Make sure to doublecheck your /etc/hosts - and you might want to check port 389 anyway. I'm certain that Ubuntu doesn't install any LDAP services, but it never hurts to check.

Trying again from a fresh ubuntu install: I made certain that /opt/zimbra/java is a valid syslink to the java in zimbra, by hosts file is exactly the same as the old server (with the same IP) and dig shows that everything is pointing correctly to the server, ssh is on the server, running on port 22, it works as that is how I am accessing the server, PS and nmap show that nothing is bound on any port but 22. The following is the install log file, after installing zimbra with the -s option and coping the files.

Here is the zmsetup.log
    Code:
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.06062008-163342.log
    Getting installed packages
    Getting local config zimbra_server_hostname
    Getting local config ldap_url
    zimbra_server_hostname not in ldap_url not starting slapd
    Getting installed services from ldap
    checking isEnabled zimbra-core
    zimbra-core not in enabled cache
    enabled packages 
    Getting enabled services from ldap
    Marking zimbra-core as installed. Services for zimbra-core will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-ldap as installed. Services for zimbra-ldap will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-store as installed. Services for zimbra-store will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-mta as installed. Services for zimbra-mta will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-snmp as installed. Services for zimbra-snmp will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-logger as installed. Services for zimbra-logger will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-apache as installed. Services for zimbra-apache will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-spell as installed. Services for zimbra-spell will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-proxy as installed. Services for zimbra-proxy will be enabled.
    Setting defaults...
    Setting local config zimbra_java_home to /opt/zimbra/java
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e zimbra_java_home='/opt/zimbra/java' 2> /dev/null
    checking isEnabled zimbra-cluster
    zimbra-cluster not in enabled cache
    enabled packages zimbra-logger zimbra-store zimbra-mta zimbra-core zimbra-apache zimbra-proxy zimbra-snmp zimbra-ldap zimbra-spell
    Getting enabled services from ldap
    Marking zimbra-core as installed. Services for zimbra-core will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-ldap as installed. Services for zimbra-ldap will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-store as installed. Services for zimbra-store will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-mta as installed. Services for zimbra-mta will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-snmp as installed. Services for zimbra-snmp will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-logger as installed. Services for zimbra-logger will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-apache as installed. Services for zimbra-apache will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-spell as installed. Services for zimbra-spell will be enabled.
    Marking zimbra-proxy as installed. Services for zimbra-proxy will be enabled.
    checking isEnabled zimbra-store
    zimbra-store is enabled
    checking isEnabled zimbra-ldap
    zimbra-ldap is enabled
    checking isEnabled zimbra-store
    zimbra-store is enabled
    checking isEnabled zimbra-mta
    zimbra-mta is enabled
    done.
    Upgrading from  to 5.0.0_GA_1869
    Stopping zimbra services
    Stop failed - exiting
    UPGRADE FAILED - exiting
    Thanks,
    Greg

ideas? anyone? I've run out of things to try...help ! :-)