When attempting to install Zimbra 5.06GA on CentOS 5.1 server - folowing the install advice on Zimbra Forums by Neil McCauley, I received the
following error message:

ERROR: Installation cannot proceed. Please fix your /etc/hosts file to contain:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Zimbra install grants mysql permissions only to localhost and localhost.localdomain users. But Fedora/Redhat installs leave lines such as these in /etc/host:

127.0.0.1 myhost.mydomain.com myhost localhost.localdomain localhost

This causes MySQL to reject users coming from 127.0.0.1 as users from myhost.mydomain.com you can read more details at:
MySQL Bugs: #11822: Reverse lookup for 127.0.0.1 not accounted for in mysql_install_db

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following is standard "hosts" file configuration on CentOS 5.1 setup.
/etc/hosts

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 blackbox.kimalcorp.org blackbox localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Even when I inserted line advised by Zimbra install process (from above error message) as fist line, the install prcess did not proceed, and repeated to error message.

The Zimbra install process only continued install when I commented out all other lines, however it then halted again at point of rejecting my (real) host name as 'blackbox' or even 'localhost'.

I was also unable to perform network login to host machine, making the entire Zimbra install process untenable.

Help on this project is greatly appreciated.

Please advise.

wanderson@nac.net