Thread: Backups slow and freezing up email

Default Backups slow and freezing up email

Hi there,

Usually on Fridays I would run zmbackup -f -a all and it would take maybe 45 minutes to do a full backup of all email accounts. I would then run Carbon Copy Clone which would take some time but provide a full backup on an external firewire drive. I am running on Mac OSX Tiger (10.4.11) Intel based. Both of these tasks had no impact on users using their email. This was all on 5.02.

Last weekend I upgraded to 5.06. Now when i run that same full backup command it takes far, far longer to do. Not only that but I had to cancel the task about a third of the way in as users were getting errors when trying to add attachments and send emails that the server was too busy to process their request. Once I cancelled the task in the command line the errors disappeared about the server being busy for users.

Is there a change that I need to make since the upgrade that I'm missing here causing this to occur ? Is there a better way I should be running these backups ?

Thanks for any advice !

Let's get some data, add zimbra.backup to /opt/zimbra/conf/log4j.properties.in like:
    log4j.logger.zimbra.backup=DEBUG
    zmmailboxdctl restart
    Then kickoff a zmbackup -f -a all -s server.domain.com
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-05-2008 at 09:48 AM.

so sorry for my ignorance I guess I am still getting familar with this system.

I can navigate to the conf directory, should I be typing the commands you wrote ? What exactly will this do (trying to work out if I can run those commands during business hours or if it will impact users)

I'm a little hesistant to run zmbackup -f -a -all also

Thanks for any further assistance

Certainly don't want to run zmmailboxdctl restart during biz hrs - plus you already know backups grind it to a halt so do this during an off period.

cd /opt/zimbra/conf/
    nano log4j.properties.in
    add log4j.logger.zimbra.backup=DEBUG to the bottom
    zmmailboxdctl restart OR zmcontrol stop/start (this applies it by reloading config)
    Kick off a full backup (zmbackup -f -a all -s server.domain.com)
    type zmbackupquery to know when it's done (I'm also curious on # of users/size of store)
    then once it's finished grab your logs sections like /var/log/zimbra.log & /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log etc
    remove the debug logging (reload/restart)
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-05-2008 at 09:48 AM.