Thread: Fresh Install

Default Fresh Install

Hello,

I started my new job two days ago, and it is my first Administrator position, as I am fresh out of College, with a little field experience in the past. Also, I'm new to your forums, so I'd like to say hello to everyone! Anyway, I'm glad to be getting hands on experience in Linux once again, and would like to take this opportunity to say that ZCS is a great product.

After installing ZCS, I logged in and created two user accounts to test if they could send email back and forth. Now, this could be a vague/broad question, but when I send an email, it's not reaching its destination. Mind you, I don't have DNS set up. Would DNS be the main cause of the emails not being received? Also, are there any other factors which could effect this?

Thanks,
    Amin

Congrats on new job.

DNS is crucial to the E-mail operation - both sending and receiving. You can search the wiki's for info on suggested DNS setup. There are so many variables on the way you have your ZCS server setup that you don't mention which makes it hard to give specific advice.

Be sure you try searching for answers to your questions before posting. The forum seems to work better that way.

Good luck. Zimbra is good stuff and I'm confident you'll find that out as delve deeper into it.

Thanks guys. I've taken a look at the documents that have been linked. So, right now I'm trying to figure out why I can't send mail. We've setup DNS through Free DNS, Static DNS, Dynamic DNS, URL Redirection, and more from EveryDNS! The thing is though, when going through the documentation you linked, I took a look at the /var/logs/zimbra.log and found the following error:

Code:
    Jul 14 10:37:00 mail2 postfix/postqueue[30243]: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down
    root@zimbra:~# host -t mx mail2.pdadmin.com
    mail2.pdadmin.com has no MX record
    After, I checked to see if there was an MX record, and there wasn't. We've created an MX record on our DNS, which done through Free DNS, Static DNS, Dynamic DNS, URL Redirection, and more from EveryDNS! Now, I'm wondering if I'm suppose to make an MX record on the server side, or point to the MX record that is stored on our online DNS?

When trying to send an email from one account to another, this pops up: