Thread: Advanced MTA Configuration - multiple domains

Default Advanced MTA Configuration - multiple domains

Hi.

I'm thoroughly impressed with ZCS. I've setup about 10 different test platforms over the past 4 months to make sure it's as good as it looks.

So far so good, but today I decided to start my last set of tests -> how well does is scale on a good server?

I'm running this software on an HP ML350-G4 with 4GB RAM, Dual-Proc 3.4 Ghz Hyper-threaded Xeon processors.

Everything setup by the installer works fine but my goal is a complex config:

I want to handle about 20 different email domains.

in 2 of these domains I want 4 local users, and the rest delivered to another Mail server.

In 4 of these domains, I simply want to scan the email and foward to another mail server (ie: smart host).

the rest of the domains will be holding 5-10 user accounts, each with multiple aliases and distribution lists.

I've done this type of config using Sendmail, SA, ClamAV, Procmail, and other tools before.

I want to know if I can do just as much with Zimbra.

When testing I ran into problems pretty quickly.

First my mail host sits on a private network behind a firewall, so it's primary hostname on the internet and it's actual hostname on our LAN is different.

My first big problem shows up when I add a second and third domain(s). these are internet routable email domains and zimbra accepts them. However when I try to create a new user account using one of those domains, it still keeps showing up in the user accounts field as user @ orginaldomain.com, not user @ secondarydomain.com Is this a display error or an error in the config?

Next if I try to create aliases for that user in any of my secondary domains, they all display as alias @ primarydomain.com, not the domain I specified when I created the alias.

Client interface loaded with FireFox 1.5

Clean install of FedoraCore 4, all the updates, no conflicting packages and all the resources in the world.

Can anyone direct me to some docs / examples of complex zimbra configs?

Or even better, tell me what I'm doing wrong or simply not doing at all?

Thanks for all the help and a wonderful solution for the linux enterprise networks.
    Last edited by keyhman; 03-06-2006 at 06:32 PM.

How are you creating the accounts? Via the CLI, or the admin console?

Did you create the domains, first?

Once you create the secondary domains, you should have no trouble creating accounts under them.

Neither of these are too complex. This is basic multi-domain which we've had for sometime. So there must be something setup wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhman
    My first big problem shows up when I add a second and third domain(s). these are internet routable email domains and zimbra accepts them. However when I try to create a new user account using one of those domains, it still keeps showing up in the user accounts field as user @ orginaldomain.com, not user @ secondarydomain.com Is this a display error or an error in the config?
    How are you creating the users? Are you using the admin UI? Or command line?

Next if I try to create aliases for that user in any of my secondary domains, they all display as alias @ primarydomain.com, not the domain I specified when I created the alias.
    Same questions how are you creating the aliases? Are you using the admin UI? Or command line?

If you use the Admin UI what do they show?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default after further investigation, this may be a bug.

to be sure, I've started over again with a clean install of fc4 and zimbra.

I corrected 1 major mis-read config error on this install (dns related).

Here's my procedure:

1. install zimbra (accepting all defaults)
    2. access gui console to config extra domains
    3. create 2 user accounts, specifying each of the new "extra" domains
    --> multiple aliases for 1 user account created

Next I'm using the web gui

4. Checked user accounts tab -> I see the accounts now showing up properly (ie: with the right domain in them).

5. Checked the Aliases tab -> I see the aliases I created, but specified for the internal domain of the server, not the "extra" domain I specified.

Send test emails to double check (all from web-client):

account1: steve @ dom1.com
    account2: john @ dom2.com, aliases: j @dom2.com, jb @dom2.com, jc @dom2.com, jk @ dom2.com

1. from steve @ dom1.com to john @ dom2.com -> works.
    2. from steve @ dom1.com to j @ dom2.com -> fails with err msg-> invalid address

checked accounts -> john @ dom2.com exists. When I click to edit that account, under the general tab, the account domain shows the internal machine domainname, not the correct "dom2.com"

checked aliases -> all the aliases I created also show with the internal domainname, not "dom2.com" as they should.

checked user account again -> all aliases in the alias tab show as "dom2.com" which is correct, only they don't work.

so on a hunch, I tried this:

edit user account again -> changed all references to "dom2.com" in the aliases tab to internal domainname and the test emails to the aliases j @ dom2.com started to work.

If I add a fourth domain to the list, things get even stranger.

So that is one problem.

In addition, I can't figure out how to tell Zimbra that, for anyting @ dom2.com that can't be delivered locally, forward to host 4.3.2.1 for processing and delivery.

is this even possible?

do I have to hack the postfix config file manually and save my mods b/c they're lost across upgrades?

Are there plans to tap some of the more useful config options for postfix via the admin gui?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

account1: steve @ dom1.com
    account2: john @ dom2.com, aliases: j @dom2.com, jb @dom2.com, jc @dom2.com, jk @ dom2.com

1. from steve @ dom1.com to john @ dom2.com -> works.
    2. from steve @ dom1.com to j @ dom2.com -> fails with err msg-> invalid address
    Let's take this in small steps. I think your confusing the problem by trying to test so many things at once. Dump the account/domain data for steve@dom1 and john@dom2 and post it here.

zmprov ga

Then dump the two domains

zmprov gd

In addition, I can't figure out how to tell Zimbra that, for anyting @ dom2.com that can't be delivered locally, forward to host 4.3.2.1 for processing and delivery.

is this even possible?

do I have to hack the postfix config file manually and save my mods b/c they're lost across upgrades?
    For this you do need to edit the config files You'll probably want:
    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#luser_relay

Are there plans to tap some of the more useful config options for postfix via the admin gui?
    Sure is. We are working on that for a future release. Feel free to file any requests into bugzilla. Please enter each request in separately. This way it's easier to track. Also do a search to make sure there isn't already a duplicate.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

You've mentioned creating accounts, but not creating domains. Are you creating the domains in zimbra that you want the aliases to be in? If not, zimbra won't know that it's supposed to accept mail for those domains.

Default Multi Email domains for 1 user

Hi There.
    Is it possible to add imap accounts for users to be able to use like on Gmail ?

for example on gmail i can actually add another 5imap external email account to be able to use on my gmail... is this supported with Zimbra please ?