Thread: confused about licensing requirements

Hybrid View

Default confused about licensing requirements

Dear Zimbra folks,

At our company we would like to deploy the Zimbra Open Source edition for use by our customers. We plan to do some minor modifications to the user interface like translating text strings.
    The licensing FAQ states that we have to publish these modifications. That's no problem, assuming that a link from the login page to a 'source code center' page containing the Zimbra sources and our patches satifies that requirement.
    I'm a bit confused about the Zimbra logo however: on one hand the trademark policy says we'll have to replace all Zimbra logo appearences in the user interface to avoid brand confusion. On the other hand the feature comparison page ( http://www.zimbra.com/products/product_editions.html) says that the Network Edition has the "Ability to rebrand the user interface with a personalized logo", whereas the Open Source edition has not. What does this mean? Is this ability a feature that just makes it easier to replace to logo? We are required to replace the logo, aren't we?
    Please let me know how to do a license compliant Zimbra deployment.

Thanks in advance (both for your answer and Zimbra!),

Bastiaan

Users of the open source edition are required to (1) remove the Zimbra logo when they create a derivative work, but also to (2) include the "Zimbra Inside" logo of equal prominence within all interfaces where the original Zimbra logo occurred. Network licensees are generally not obliged to include the Zimbra Inside logo on their derivative works.

We'll try to clarify this in the license FAQ. Thanks for asking.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the clarification. Somehow I failed to notice the 'Zimbra Inside' logo requirement in ZPL exhibit B.
    That exhibit also requires the display of a copyright notice, but also requires the notice to be "in the same form as the latest version of the Covered Code distributed by Zimbra, Inc. at the time of distribution of such copy"
    Maybe as a pedantic coder I'm reading too much into this, but it sounds too complicated to simply mean "use the copyright notice contained in the Zimbra version your using".
    Could you explain what this "latest version" requirement is about? I hope it does not involve having to update the copyright notice after deployment.

Thanks,

Bastiaan

It means the version you are using. So if you have version 3.0 you use the copyright that shipped with that version. If you upgrade to 3.5 then you'll need to upgrade the copyright too(if it changed).
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Ah, good to hear it is as simple as that. The wording in the license seems a bit awkward though. But as a non native English speaker and IANAL, who I am to judge that :-)

Thanks for the clarification,

Bastiaan