Thread: Disaster Recovery question/help?

Default Disaster Recovery question/help?

I was running the Open Source version 5.01 on Ubuntu 7.10 - everything working fine - until the server's mobo/cpu fried. The drives appear to be ok. I have acquired a new server but I figure this might be a good time to move to Ubuntu server 8.04 as well as Zimbra 5.07. I have a full backup of the Zimbra Server as well as the actual database files since the last backup. Is there an easy way to import/restore the mail from a previous version into the fresh version?

Thx

i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    Hi Raj,

I'm looking at it .... but it talks about moving from one server to another using the same version of Zimbra. I would like to do a fresh install of the new version of Ubuntu v8.04.1 and the new 5.07 version of Zimbra built specifically for it - create fresh mailbox user accounts and then import their old mail.

I was thinking I could throw VMware Server on the new hardware - follow the instructions to bring up a virtual version of the old server and run a backup but how do I get the mail into the new version?

Is there a way to create an archive file (ala .pst in Windows) and then import it into a specific mailbox?

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    I have a question regarding the procedure from the link above. The version of Zimbra running on my old server was 5.02 - for Ubuntu 6.06 - does the version of Zimbra on the new server need to be the same? Or has the backend not changed so that the procedure would still work if I install v5.07 on the new server?

Thx -

Hi..Please follow the process line by line..AS IS..only thing differnet is you alredy have the full working backup.

NO..you cannot install the NEW version and copy over all old version files and be done.

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Raj is right. As the author of that particular blog post, I can tell you, you want the same version. Worry about upgrading later.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Raj is right. As the author of that particular blog post, I can tell you, you want the same version. Worry about upgrading later.
    Will do. So here is my plan - I have the new server hardware and have installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 server edition. Going to install Vmware Server and created a virtual machine with Ubuntu 7.10 server (same OS as the server that died) - then follow the procedure to recover Zimbra (the version was 5.02) onto the virtual machine.

For future reference - which would be the preferred method .... upgrade Zimbra from 5.02 to 5.07 and then upgrade the OS from 7.10 to 8.04 or upgrade the OS first and then Zimbra?

Thanks to both of you for your help -