Thread: Issue with Centos 4.2-x86_64 and MYSQL

Default Issue with Centos 4.2-x86_64 and MYSQL

I am thinking of installing Zimbra after reading how good it is from Centos' website.

I have 2 questions:

1. Centos 4.2-x86_64
    ---------------------
    Reading some of your forum posting, I am a little confused if it will run on my server which is running Centos 4.2-x86_64. I know you suppor RHEL 4 but do you support 64 bit?

If only 32bit is allowed, my server has 32 bit utils running along with 64 bit, Is it possible for you to list our the necessary 32bit software required?

2. MYSQL
    ---------
    It say in the installation doc that it is not necessary but recommended that we shut down MYSQL. My server is currently operational and shutting down MYSQL will mess my users up. What are the likely problem I could encounter if I kept mysql running?

Thank you.

64 bit isn't supported without the 32 bit libraries installed in your OS, and you'll have to install all the perl modules we ship, too. After the install, all of our perl modules are in /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib, so you can see which ones you'll need.

mysql isn't an issue anymore, really, since we've switched ports (aside from having more stuff running on the server)

Default More questions

Dear Marc

Thank you for responding. I believe that with Centos 4.2, when it installs x86_64, it also install the 32bits equivalents.

I have a more critical question that I need to clarify. It says that on page 1 of your Quick Installation manual that:
    "The Zimbra Collaboration Suite is designed to be the only application suite installed on the server."

On page 2 of the same manual, it says:
    "Important. You cannot have any other web server, database, LDAP, or MTA server running, when you install the Zimbra software. If you have installed any of the applications, before you install Zimbra software, disable these applications."

The first statement seems to suggest that Zimbra will make the server a standalone mail server. Does this mean that Zimbra will hog the entire server and not allow other applications to run on the same server?

I was hoping to install Zimbra on to an existing factory system which is currentlyrunning postfix/dovecot. There are a number of web domains running off the server. If I install Zimbra on this server, does that mean:

1. I cannot run the existing websites, weblogs, and database, and cgi-bins at all?
    2. If that is not the case, if I were to disable the web server (apache) database (mysql), that effectively shuts down my server for the duration of the installation. Is there another way I can install Zimbra with these application running?

I have not installed Zimbra before and so do not know if the installation is a 10 minutes plug and play or a 2 day "suck and see" type situation. I know it really depends on my skill levels - I must admit now that it is weak

You valuable input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Wheh you install Zimbra it will check for port conflicts with other applications such as Apache, MySQl and allow you to change the ports Zimbra uses. In a test environment it doesn't really make much diffreence whether other services are running on the same box (depending on the number of clients connecting) but for a production system it is advisable to install it on a stand-alone server.

The Zimbra install shoudl take about 10/15 miutes to get up and running, it does on my system but that's not running any other services.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Thank you Bill

Thanks for the insight. I will look for a development server to work on this then.

Thanks