Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New mail notification

Default New mail notification

A lot of our users use the web based email client. We find it strange that there is no sound or visual notification when an email is received. Am I missing something here ? Is there a setting I can set so our users can know when they have a new email rather than opening the internet browser manually and checking every 10 minutes ? Understand that they need to leave their browser open for this.

Running 5.06 (version in my profile is accurate)

ok so you're saying this is an added feature of 5.08 ? (or i guess maybe 5.07)

a little reluctant to upgrade as had several problems with the upgrade from 5.02 to 5.06 so will have to weigh up the complaints of no email notification versus the risks of the upgrade.

So how well does the notifications work in 5.08 then ? If using firefox for example and leaving it open, does it pop up a seperate window ? notification in the taskbar ? audible notification ? As much info about this is greatly appreciated !!!

This RFE was added in 5.0.7+: Bug 7482 - audible calendar & mail notifications
    (just go straight from 5.0.6 > 5.0.8 though)

Mail Notifications:

Cal Notifications:

IM Notifications:

May I know when zimbra 5.0.8 release and can work in Ubuntu 8.04?
    So far I know Zimbra can work with Ubuntu 6 and 7
    But why Ubuntu 8 not yet included inside the install script?

Thank you

Ubuntu 8.0.4 versions are coming with the soon to be released 5.0.9 - definitely for FOSS, and possibly beta support for NE.
    Keep up to date by going to the announcements section > forum tools (on right) > subscribe to this forum > daily or weekly updates (notify you when new content is posted to announcements).

Default New Mail Notification - Not just for my Inbox

Hey,

I hate to post onto a old thread such as this, but it's a relevant thread, none the less.

Fairly new to Zimbra, but was able to get it all working under Linux, excellent app/suite so far!

I've searched these forums, but have not been able to answer my question (address my problem).

I'm an (ex) OpenWeb Mail user that was very use to getting a pop-up window when new email was received. This was for ANY folder I created and filtered mail into, not just the Inbox, its best feature.

I'm trying "Toaster" and the Fire Fox plug-in, but they seem only to monitor just one folder at a time; Inbox by default on the Firefox plug-in.

Is there an add-on for Zimbra to watch ALL folders for new mail. I filter all my mail to sort in folders etc..., that can put a small pop-up window somewhere on screen?

Just as long as it pops something up, saying new email arrived would be welcomed. I hate having my Inbox sub tree expanded to watch for message counts, I have dozens of folders, and they have to be scrolled to be all seen.

At work, all pop/imap/imaps ports are blocked (just http/https ports open) and severe reprimands given to anyone using a 'standard' app on a non standard port. I don't have Administrative rights on my work PC either.

Hands Tied, has this been addressed yet? If so, can someone point me to that zimlet/app etc...?

That's a very good point. If you find a solution please post it here, and if not, I'd encourage you to post an RFE in Bugzilla because I would vote for it.

It seems to me that the right way of handling this both for webmail and the desktop client would be to make Alerts a property of each folder rather than a global property (except maybe as a "suppress all" feature). Then you can, say, tell Zimbra to put up an alert whenever a folder's content changes. (Obviously you would exclude changes due to the user manually moving items around.) The alert could include notification of which folder it applied to.

Default New Mail Notification - Not just for my Inbox

Tks, done deal: Bug ID: 35676

Quote Originally Posted by ewilen View Post
    That's a very good point. If you find a solution please post it here, and if not, I'd encourage you to post an RFE in Bugzilla because I would vote for it.