Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: I have no own domain, just some accounts at GMX ... How do setup ZCS?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    10

    Default I have no own domain, just some accounts at GMX ... How do setup ZCS?

    I'm running my own private domain "gtds.lan" and have several email accounts like GertThiel at gmx.net or gertthiel at yahoo.com.

    I have a linux box running Fetchmail, Cyrus IMAPd and Postfix. I fetch all my email account using fetchmail into my through Postfix IMAP account and send all messages through the publicly visibled SMTP servers (eg. mail.gmx.net).

    How shall I set up ZCS to replace my Cyrus IMAPd installation?

    TIA.

    - Gert

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Short answer

    Quote Originally Posted by GertThiel
    I'm running my own private domain "gtds.lan" and have several email accounts like GertThiel at gmx.net or gertthiel at yahoo.com.

    I have a linux box running Fetchmail, Cyrus IMAPd and Postfix. I fetch all my email account using fetchmail into my through Postfix IMAP account and send all messages through the publicly visibled SMTP servers (eg. mail.gmx.net).

    How shall I set up ZCS to replace my Cyrus IMAPd installation?

    TIA.

    - Gert
    The short answer to this is that it's pretty much the same.

    What you'll want to do is set up your fetchmail to hand the email to the ZCS postfix instance.

    One issue is the rewriting of the destination address - if you hand the zcs mta an email for user@yahoo.com, it'll either get sent to yahoo or rejected, depending on your configuration - so you'll have to do the rewrite before you hand it off.

    You could alias the accounts (user@yahoo -> user@gtds.lan) but I think that would require creating the yahoo.com domain on the zcs server - which may break outgoing mail.

    I've not tested this config, but can play around with it on Monday, if you haven't resolved it by then.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    What you'll want to do is set up your fetchmail to hand the email to the ZCS postfix instance.
    That will be no problem. It's more or less a copy the file matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    One issue is the rewriting of the destination address - if you hand the zcs mta an email for user@yahoo.com, it'll either get sent to yahoo or rejected, depending on your configuration - so you'll have to do the rewrite before you hand it off.

    You could alias the accounts (user@yahoo -> user@gtds.lan) but I think that would require creating the yahoo.com domain on the zcs server - which may break outgoing mail.
    This will break outgoing mail! I'm quite sure ZCS can't handle my config because it was designed with an other setup in mind.

    I think you can implement such feature faster than I could ever.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    10

    Default What about one of the free dynamic DNS services

    I am using a free DNS service from DynDNS. My firewall ( IPCop ) automatically updates my ip address whenever my ISP changes it for any reason. This means the domain linsys.homeip.net or mail.linsys.homeip.net will always point to my home network no matter what the ip address is. At the moment I am using Postfix and Fetchmail and I can send and receive e-mails as if I own a domain. Only catch is that you must find a willing relay host, otherwise some of your emails will be rejected if the destination server performs a reverse lookup.

    Currently, I am trying ditch the Postfix/Fetchmail setup for Zimbra/Fetchmail.
    Last edited by Linsys; 09-20-2005 at 10:52 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    14

    Default iptables redirection

    Quote Originally Posted by Linsys
    I am using a free DNS service from DynDNS. My firewall ( IPCop ) automatically updates my ip address whenever my ISP changes it for any reason. This means the domain linsys.homeip.net or mail.linsys.homeip.net will always point to my home network no matter what the ip address is. At the moment I am using Postfix and Fetchmail and I can send and receive e-mails as if I own a domain. Only catch is that you must find a willing relay host, otherwise some of your emails will be rejected if the destination server performs a reverse lookup.

    Currently, I am trying ditch the Postfix/Fetchmail setup for Zimbra.
    One thing that will trip you up is our iptables redirection - you'll need to reinstall this (zmiptables -u; zmiptables -i) when your IP changes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    One thing that will trip you up is our iptables redirection - you'll need to reinstall this (zmiptables -u; zmiptables -i) when your IP changes.
    But the external IP address (the one that changes) is on another machine (gateway & firewall) that performs port forwarding to my mail server inside the LAN at 192.168.1.3 (this never changes). Zimbra will only be aware of this ip address [192.168.1.3] and not the external IP address. I stand to be corrected here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Seems like you'll be ok then.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    10

    Default I have no own domain, just some accounts at GMX ... How do setup ZCS?

    I hope then this solves GertThiel's problem. I haven't tested this since I still cannot get my Zimbra to run as described in another thread - Mailbox not starting on Fedora Core 3 .

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 02:44 AM
  2. Trouble Sending mail - All Messages deferred!
    By SiteDiscovery in forum Administrators
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 08:55 PM
  4. ZCS 3.2 Beta Available
    By KevinH in forum Announcements
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 03:46 PM
  5. domain coexistence
    By marcmac in forum Administrators
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 01:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •