Thread: Server Error: Proxy_ERROR

Default Server Error: Proxy_ERROR

So I've got a multiserver setup up and running under Ubuntu 8.04 x64 (Community Build) version zcs-5.0.7_GA_2450.UBUNTU8_64.FRANKLIN. At the moment its 3 servers (MTA, LDAP and a mailstore) I plan to add another doing proxying, but haven't set that up.

When I log into the admin interface I get the following error:
    Server error encountered Message:
    error while proxying request to target server Connection refused Error code: service.PROXY_ERROR Method: GetServiceStatusRequest Details:soap:Receiver
    In mailbox.log that seems to be an error connecting to parachute (my MTA). Should I be running zimbra-apache on that box? Or is might there be a config value somewhere that is looking to parachute when it shouldn't?

Relevant lines from /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log I see:
    2008-08-14 17:52:43,822 INFO [btpool0-10] [name=admin@psych.columbia.edu;mid=2;ip=75.223.42.6 ;ua=ZimbraWebClient - FF3.0 (Win);] soap - GetServiceStatusRequest
    2008-08-14 17:52:43,833 INFO [btpool0-10] [name=admin@psych.columbia.edu;mid=2;ip=75.223.42.6 ;ua=ZimbraWebClient - FF3.0 (Win);] SoapEngine - handler exception
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: error while proxying request to target server Connection refused
    ExceptionId:btpool0-10:1218750763833:19f2a0ee88f430b8
    Code:service.PROXY_ERROR Argurl, STR, "https://parachute.psych.columbia.edu:7071/service/admin/soap/GetServiceStatusRequest")
    at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.PROXY_E RROR(ServiceException.java:303)
    at com.zimbra.soap.ProxyTarget.dispatch(ProxyTarget.j ava:109)
    at com.zimbra.soap.DocumentHandler.proxyRequest(Docum entHandler.java:428)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.GetServiceStatus.handl e(GetServiceStatus.java:56)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:410)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:267)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:159)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:266)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:727)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:188)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:487)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserA gentFilter.java:81)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter .java:132)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:360)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:216)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:181)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:716)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:406)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.h andle(RewriteHandler.java:315)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:506)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:844)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:644)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:381)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:396)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl .java:333)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSoc ketImpl.java:195)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.j ava:182)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.j ava:366)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:520)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect (SSLSocketImpl.java:545)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.(SSLSocketImpl.java:389)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketFactoryImpl. createSocket(SSLSocketFactoryImpl.java:121)
    at com.zimbra.common.util.EasySSLProtocolSocketFactor y.createSocket(EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory.java:1 24)
    at com.zimbra.common.util.EasySSLProtocolSocketFactor y.createSocket(EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory.java:1 65)
    at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open( HttpConnection.java:706)
    at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.e xecuteWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java:386)
    at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.e xecuteMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:170)
    at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMe thod(HttpClient.java:396)
    at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMe thod(HttpClient.java:324)
    at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(So apHttpTransport.java:234)
    at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invoke(SoapTr ansport.java:297)
    at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invokeRaw(Soa pTransport.java:272)
    at com.zimbra.soap.ProxyTarget.dispatch(ProxyTarget.j ava:106)
    ... 32 more

Quote Originally Posted by notpeter View Post
    So I've got a multiserver setup up and running under Ubuntu 8.04 x64 (Community Build) version zcs-5.0.7_GA_2450.UBUNTU8_64.FRANKLIN. At the moment its 3 servers (MTA, LDAP and a mailstore) I plan to add another doing proxying, but haven't set that up.

When I log into the admin interface I get the following error:

In mailbox.log that seems to be an error connecting to parachute (my MTA). Should I be running zimbra-apache on that box? Or is might there be a config value somewhere that is looking to parachute when it shouldn't?

Relevant lines from /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log I see:
    Any updates on this?
    1. I am seeing the same problem, which is related to setting up LDAP replication to a secondary Zimbra server. After rebuilding the secondary server, or when it is not available, the primary is still trying to contact the secondary and shows the soap error when I try to go to "Server Status" on the admin page.

Code:service.PROXY_ERROR Argurl, STR,
    "https://zimbra2.domain.com:7071/service/admin/soap/GetServiceStatusRequest")

2. I also do not want to continue to do LDAP replication, so I need to disable it.
    Suggestions?

I ended up simplifying my installation. Rather than deal with the complications of a multi-server setup, I decided to get avoid the premature optimization and just use a more powerful single server. Switching to a single server setup (everything zimbra on one box, only smtp seperately) and beefing up the specs (Dell PE29500III with 8cores @ 3Ghz + 16GB of ram) solved this and a few other annoying problems which stemmed from the multi-server setup. I've been happy with the simplicity that comes from a single server Zimbra setup. Of course, your mailbox storage may not fit in one single server but I'd rather spend on a SAN or DAS than on additional physical servers.

Of course, we're only a couple hundred users and this may not fit your needs, but I'd definitely consider it as managing one dedicated Zimbra server is easier than 3+ in multi-server setup.

So what did you do to resolve the Proxy error? Just reload everything?

Yep, basically. I had tried redoing my multi-server setup to make sure I'd done it correctly and saw the same error on multiple versions and with slightly different configs. This post was from one of my first attempts at an install, before Ubuntu64bit was even officially supported, but I never found a solution hence the abandonment of the multi-server config. Ultimately it was a wise decision for me, single server requires less tweaking to get everything working.

If you have support, I imagine Zimbra could get things going right, but for me I abandoned the multi-server setup before purchasing NE + support.