Thread: Upgrade 5.0.5 to 5.0.9 AND Ubuntu 6.06 LTS to 8.04 LTS

Hybrid View

Default Upgrade 5.0.5 to 5.0.9 AND Ubuntu 6.06 LTS to 8.04 LTS

Hi,

With pleasure, I noticed that Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is now supported as well. I currently run 5.0.5 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and I would like to move to the latest status on both Zimbra and the OS. What is the recommended way:

a) Upgrade Zimbra 5.0.5 to 5.0.9 (using the 6.06 Zimbra package) and then upgrade Ubuntu to 8.04? Would this require to run 5.0.9 install again using the Ubuntu 8.04 Zimbra 5.0.9 package?

b) Upgrade Ubuntu to 8.04 first and upgrade to Zimbra 5.0.9 afterwards?

c) Forget the upgrade to 8.04 and do a fresh 8.04 instance, installing 5.0.9 from scratch and migrate data to the new instance? What is the procedure to move the data from one server to the other one?

I prefer a solution out of option a) or b). Any recommendations?

We use a 200 accounts NE, and we'd also like to upgrade our Zimbra 5.0.9 on Ubuntu 6.06 to Ubuntu 8.04 (mainly because our Zimbra is on a Xen domU, and libc6-xen has not been backported to Ubuntu 6.06). I'm waiting for an answer to this thread

Olivier

Hi,
    I did an upgrade from 5.0.4 to 5.0.9 this weekend. At the same time I switched from Debian Etch to Ubuntu 8.04.
    What I did was a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 on a second machine, there I also installed Zimbra 5.0.9. Then, on the old machine, I upgraded Zimbra to 5.0.9. After this I moved /opt/zimbra to the new machine and used it from there.

However I would say the following should work for you:
    1.) Upgrade Zimbra to 5.0.9 using the 6.06 packages
    2.) Make sure everything works fine
    3.) Copy away /opt/zimbra
    4.) Remove Zimbra (install.sh -u)
    5.) Upgrade Ubuntu to 8.04
    6.) Install Zimbra 5.0.9 using the 8.04 packages (install.sh -s)
    7.) Replace /opt/zimbra with the copy you made earlier

Of course before you start anything make sure you have a working backup of the whole /opt/zimbra.

Good luck!
    Conny

Conny,

Great! Good to know that all relevant information is stored under /opt/zimbra. I assume that you installed the new setup with the same ip address and the same hostname. Anything else you needed to pay attention to get a same base environment?

Why do you recommend uninstalling zimbra before upgrading the os to 8.04?

Regards,
    Markus

Hi Markus,

to be on the save side you should keep the same hostname. It's possible to change it, but it isn't that simple. If you want to change it have a look at those 3 articles:
    ZmSetServerName - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Logical hostname - Zimbra :: Wiki
    SSL Certificate Problems - Zimbra :: Wiki

But if you keep hostname/ip as it is, you shouldn't have those problems. The reason why I recommend to uninstall Zimbra before upgrading Ubuntu is that I'm not sure how the Zimbra packages will behave while upgrading the distribution. Those packages are not part of the Ubuntu repositories so they won't get upgraded automatically. This means you have to reinstall the packages for Ubuntu 8.04 anyways.
    It might just as well work without uninstalling Zimbra first, but just to be save I would invest those extra 2 minutes.

But again, I think it's really important to first upgrade Zimbra and really test if everything is working fine (check logs etc.) and then do a backup. Otherwise it's really difficult to see where possible errors are coming from. Also you have the possibility to reinstall Ubuntu 6.06 and use your backup again.

Ah and another thing, when copying /opt/zimbra make sure you preserve owners and permissions.

Again good luck
    Conny