Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition and LVM

Default Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition and LVM

Hi,
    I have a PC I'm dedicating as a server and embarking on the adventure of installing Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition and Zimbra 5.0.9.
    I've soon stumbled across my first hurdle which is on the Ubuntu installation when asked if I want to set up LVM (which I gather means Logical Volume Management). Is this something I need for Zimbra? I'm not planning anything too adventurous for Zimbra at the moment i.e. running four mail boxes from it.
    Regards,
    BDd

Welcome to the forums,

Not needed for Zimbra.

However, it can be quite handy - I'll let you search the web for it's slew of benefits from combining multiple disks to resizing on the fly - to start you off: When should you use LVM for partitioning? Takes a bit of work to add later: SettingUpLVM-WithoutACleanInstall

As used with FOSS backups: Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki though there's a tons of methods in that article & also more here: Backup and Restore Articles - Zimbra :: Wiki

Thank you Mike for your ultra-quick response and for your welcome
    I had forged ahead to see what was round the corner but I'm quite happy to go back to install (reading up a bit about LVM whilst I'm doing it).

Although my next immediate challenge is some research on DNS, domains (getting my head around A and MX and the like), the essence of the larger challenge here is to try and work out how much I need to know about each of the aspects of the task to accomplish it with a reasonable understanding and how much can I let pass for now in order to get it done. Each stone I lift has a number of stones beneath it. My question to myself will always be how many of them can I lift - even if just for a glimpse of what's underneath - and still consider my time to be being used productively?

I appreciate your response Mike and notice there are many here who are happy to help. I had done a quick google but not with the right search terms to bring up those links - I suppose that's another thing I'll learn.

In the meantime, someone let me know if my questions get too something-or-other!

Regards,
    BDd

If you've already moved on, you can make due with booting from a liveCD to adjust partition sizes etc if it's a partition you can't unmount to adjust.

Focus your time on getting DNS right though - I assume this is behind a NAT firewall with a local IP so you'll probably need:
    Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Making Zimbra & BIND Work Together » Zimbra :: Blog

---Extra discussion---

If this is a simple server you can live with:
    /boot
    /
    swap

You may wish to mount /opt under on it's own if you want to take quick LVM backups of Zimbra (or just keep it safer in general) - though rsync is a fine quick & simple method if your store & index (the mail) is smaller, in the TB range that could take a little time to backup.

If this is actually going to be used for a main workstation most mount /home separate (either 'fixed' or in LVM) so that you can reinstall the OS without too much hassle if needed. /home is the directory for all your user specific data and documents - the 'my documents' of windows. Move /home to it’s own partition Ubuntu Blog
    What's really cool is that sometimes you can even share a /home on multiple OS's though it may get messy.
    Though you could always make a /data or put important stuff on a NAS with some RAID if your server isn't sporting it..

Typical directories people put on different partitions for various purpose specific reasons: /boot, /, /home, /opt (Zimbra & large apps), /usr (smaller apps), /var, /tmp, /srv https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...tory-tree.html

FYI the Network Edition has per-user hot backups that allow you to restore to an individual second in time: Backup and Restore & CLI zmrestore restoreToTime Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki

Solutions for the Open Source source edition typically involve stopping Zimbra to take the backup - even using things like rsnapshot you should occasionally take one with it stopped to avoid conflicts. Most are not per-user backups (here's one though). You could always grab blob files, but most intend that you restore an entire instance to a temp machine/VM, then copy over the data via Imapsync/REST/CURL/thick-clients. User Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki

Lastly if you plan to run other server oriented apps on this it's often easier to use virtual machines for simplicity of management (ie VMWare, Virtual Box, Xen, etc it's an endless list) though there's plenty of articles in the wiki on how to change ports in Zimbra, co-existence with Apache, or even host sites using Zimbra...

Thanks again Mike,
    I'm going very slowly on this due to my starting point in terms of understanding and experience because I know how much time can be lost if I don't set things up right in the first place. For now I've had to put it on hold to get on with other stuff so I won't reply in detail to your post today. I just wanted to say a quick thanks for now and I'm hoping to get a chance mid next week to carry on.
    Regards,
    BDd