Thread: Backup sollution for Zimbra running in Xen instance?

Default Backup sollution for Zimbra running in Xen instance?

Hi,

my Zimbra is up and running, everything works like charm (great piece of software!). Before the live data is beeing migrated to the new server i would like to have the backup up and running as well. But so far i'm still a bit confused what the best sollution would be.

In short the environment:

Zimbra installen within a Xen instance running Ubuntu 8.04 (love the latest build for it .
    The Xen instance is placed within LVM volumes and running also on Ubuntu 8.04.

So after looking around for a while the best sollution seems to just take LVM-snapshots and use those for backups without even needing to power down zimbra.

Nice how-to for this is here: Backup laufender domUs per LVM-Snapshot [openQRM-WIKI]

But since someone is pointing out the potential issue of the file-system not beeing konsistent since the snapshot is taking out of the host system and therefore the guest system not knowing anything about it.

Unfortunately this goes beyond my knowledge of lvm and virtualisation but maybe someone here has already experience with a setup like this.

Of course i'm also open for any other ideas.

One thing i also though of would be to set up a backup mx (i hope this is what i thought it is, or i just mix up words now) that takes of the mail delivery for the moments i shut down the zimbra to take a non-live-backup.

ps: its the latest zimbra and in open source edition
    Last edited by maxigs; 08-24-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added ps