Thread: Can't send mail from local domain to .com domain

Default Can't send mail from local domain to .com domain

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to provide.

I've got a completely working Zimbra box set up in my domain. The intention is to use it to host internal e-mail, and I've set the domain to be domain.local. The outside world sends e-mail to this company's pop server at domain.com.

Sorry if that's a bit confusing, but let me try to diagram it out:

1) Internal users get a user@domain.local address. Most internal users also have a user@domain.com address. Please don't ask me why they want it like this...
    2) Internal users then configure their Zimbra account, let's say bob@domain.local, to pull mail from their external account, bob@domain.com. This pulls mail fine.
    3) I've tried to set that account to send from bob@domain.com but that field is grayed out, fixed at bob@domain.local (unless I add the domain, but that would cause other problems...see below).
    4) So when I send to an external account, let's say a Gmail account, the "From" field still shows "bob@domain.local" but I've set the "Reply to" field to "bob@domain.com".

When I send from bob@domain.local to jane@domain.local it works fine.
    When I send from bob@domain.local to jane@gmail.com it works fine.
    When I send from bob@domain.local to jane@domain.com it kicks back with a message from the mail server at domain.com saying that the domain could not be resolved...of course it can't be resolved because domain.local is only local, not in the cloud.

I've contacted the webhost for domain.com and they tell me that they can't add an MX record for domain.local to simply resolve to. They also told me that they can't add it to a white list of some sort.

So, my question comes down to this: How do I set Zimbra to enable bob@domain.local to send as bob@domain.com WITHOUT adding domain.com to the Zimbra server's domain list?

The reason I can't add it to the server's domain list is because there are external users who will need to be able to access their mail, and if I add it to the Zimbra server's domain list it will keep the mail internal and it will never go outside the office.

Please, any suggestions? This wouldn't be a problem if I could set the "From" field without having to add the domain. Zimbra should have the ability to send from a particular account - Outlook has this. For example, if I have jesse@domain.local and I add jesse@gmail.com, I should be able to send from (as) jesse@gmail.com, since I've already authenticated to Gmail for that account!

Thanks again,
    Jesse

Bump...any ideas? Should I report it as a bug?

This is a rather important client for my company - if they switch to Zimbra, several other companies they work closely with will follow suit, so I want to make sure we get things right for them.

- Jesse

You could create a persona on the account ? The From: would still be set to domain.local but you can change the reply-to be whatever you want.

Thanks for the response.

I tried that, and yes, the "From" still shows as .local...which is the problem. The domain that they e-mail most tries to resolve the domain that is showing in the "From" field. Since it can't resolve the "domain.local" it rejects the e-mail.

Any other ideas?

- Jesse

Exclamation Hi

I guess domain masquerading should solve this problem.
    I mean external mails should show from user@domain.com
    Have you tried it?

No I haven't...hadn't heard about it until you just mentioned it. It's a bit of a moot point now since the client has decided to use Zimbra as their front end server now.

Should this functionality be built into Zimbra?

Thanks for your responses.

- Jesse