Thread: Zimbra LDAP

Default Zimbra LDAP

This topic has been discussed a number of times, and before posting it I read the posts and Help Topics, but unfortunately I could not succeed.

Background:

I have an LDAP server running on mail.mydomain.org
    I have Zimbra running on zimbra.mydomain2.net
    I want to authenticate users using the LDAP server on mail.mydomain.org; first without SSL and then with SSL once I receive the SSL certificate after a few days
    (The users should enter username@mydomain2.net and their password to authenticate themselves)

I also wish to use GAL from mail.mydomain.org

On the LDAP server, I executed an ldapsearch, and the result is as under:

Code:
    [root@mail ~]# ldapsearch -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=org" -b "dc=mydomain,dc=org" -s sub -P 2 -w MyP455w0rd "(mail=czaveri@mydomain2.net)"
    # extended LDIF
    #
    # LDAPv2
    # base  with scope sub
    # filter: (mail=czaveri@mydomain2.net)
    # requesting: ALL
    #

# czaveri@mydomain2.net, mydomain2, mydomain.org
    dn: cn=czaveri@mydomain2.net,ou=mydomain2,dc=mydomain,dc=org
    telephoneNumber: 311-770-8355
    mail: czaveri@mydomain2.net
    objectClass: inetOrgPerson
    sn: Chintan Zaveri
    cn: czaveri@mydomain2.net
    userPassword:: e3NzaGF9TG9yY1owUW1qSU5MWGQyTUM6aWYyQ2RLK5hOVkhGbHQ=
    displayName: Chintan Zaveri
    carLicense: czaveri@zimbra.mydomain2.net,$user

# search result
    search: 2
    result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
    # numEntries: 1
    [root@mail ~]#
    I also received the same result, as above when I executed the following search:

Code:
    ldapsearch -x -H ldap://mail.mydomain.org -D "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=org" -b "dc=mydomain,dc=org" -s sub -P 2 -w MyP455w0rd "(mail=czaveri@mydomain2.net)"
    What I did:
    I went to Zimbra Management Interface -> Domains -> mydomain2.net -> Configure Authentication -> Authentication Configuration Wizard (mydomain2.net)

In the first screen, I selected Authentication Mechanism as External LDAP

In the second screen, I entered LDAP Server name as mail.mydomain.org, Left the Port Number at 389 and did NOT check Use SSL.
    I entered LDAP filter as (mail=%u@%d) and LDAP search base as
    Code:
    dc=mydomain,dc=org

In the third screen, I checked Use DN/Password to bind to external server and entered Bind DN as cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=org and password in both password fields.

In the fourth screen, I entered Bind DN as cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=org, User name as czaveri@mydomain2.net and the password.

Then I clicked on Test.

I received the following error with Server message: Generic communication failure

Code:
    javax.naming.CommunicationException: mail.mydomain.org:389 [Root exception is java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host]
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.(Connection.java:194)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.(LdapClient.java:118)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClientFactory.createPooledConnection(LdapClientFactory.java:44)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.pool.Connections.(Connections.java:97)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.pool.Pool.getPooledConnection(Pool.java:114)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapPoolManager.getLdapClient(LdapPoolManager.java:310)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.getInstance(LdapClient.java:1572)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.connect(LdapCtx.java:2596)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.(LdapCtx.java:283)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURL(LdapCtxFactory.java:175)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURLs(LdapCtxFactory.java:193)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getLdapCtxInstance(LdapCtxFactory.java:136)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getInitialContext(LdapCtxFactory.java:66)
            at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:667)
            at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:247)
            at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(InitialContext.java:223)
            at javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.(InitialLdapContext.java:134)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapUtil.getDirContext(LdapUtil.java:213)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapUtil.ldapAuthenticate(LdapUtil.java:246)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.Check.checkAuthConfig(Check.java:152)
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.CheckAuthConfig.handle(CheckAuthConfig.java:53)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:252)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:163)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:84)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:228)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:154)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
            at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
            at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:526)
            at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
            at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:825)
            at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:738)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:526)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Caused by: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host
            at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
            at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333)
            at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
            at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182)
            at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:364)
            at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:507)
            at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor32.invoke(Unknown Source)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.createSocket(Connection.java:333)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connect
    Thank-you in advance,

Sincerely,

Chintan Zaveri.
    Last edited by czaveri; 03-21-2006 at 01:42 AM.

Is everything running on the same physical machine? If not can you run the ldap search from the zimbra machine connecting to your LDAP server? What if you use plain telnet from zimbra:

telnet ldaphost 389

Can you even connect? Firewall? SELinux?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Firewall! ... but still not working

Dear Kevin,

Yes, you were right about firewall. The 389 port was blocked.

After opening it and with the same configuration now I get the following error:

Code:
    Server message: Authentication failed. Invalid credentials (bad dn/password)
    javax.naming.AuthenticationException: empty search
    	at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapUtil.ldapAuthenticate(LdapUtil.java:267)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.Check.checkAuthConfig(Check.java:152)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.CheckAuthConfig.handle(CheckAuthConfig.java:53)
    	at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:252)
    	at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:163)
    	at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:84)
    	at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:228)
    	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:154)
    	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
    	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:526)
    	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:825)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:738)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:526)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Can you help me understand my mistake...

Thank-you,

Sincerely,

Chintan Zaveri.

Now you just have the password and dn wrong. You'll need to enter it just like you did for the ldap search.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Solved

The password and dn were ok. However, I was using an improper filter.

For GAL, I needed to use (mail=%s)

For Auth, I needed to use (cn=%n)

Finally, ...

Thank-you very much for such a wonderful software and support.

Sincerely,

Chintan Zaveri.