Thread: Domain Name Woes

Default Domain Name Woes

I've found myself in a predicament in what I thought was a pretty routine scenario. I've installed 5.0 Opensource edition, which was originally for testing purposes. The primary email server has gone down so we're in a bind to roll the machine into production.

I installed Zimbra as zimbra.mydomain.com and I'm able to log in and send emails etc. All is well. I now have the need to have mail be sent and received as @mydomain.com rather than zimbra.mydomain.com. I thought this would be as simple as pointing a new MX record at Zimbra, adding the domain within Zimbra and then changing the domain over to mydomain.com. No such luck. I can login using:

Domain Name Registration, E-mail, Web Hosting while the user's domain is set to zimbra.mydomain.com but as soon as I change it to mydomain.com I can no longer log in.

#1) How might I add an additional domain name such that accounts currently set to mail.mydomain.com appear from mydomain.com.

#2) How can I change domains for user accounts in bulk? For example I'd like to change a large group from zimbra.mydomain.com to mail.mydomain.com (for example) and using the administrative interface does not seem realistic given the amount that need changed.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah I saw this after the fact. I'm interested in experimenting with a few of these options, but need to first transfer a bunch of users@domain to users@subdomain. Any idea how to do this?

Do you have edge mta? If not then you go for alias for your users.

zmprov aaa users@domain users@subdomain.domain

you also need to have to domains one for subdomain and the other.

Maybe I wasn't clear about my problem(s).

I originally installed zimbra for mail.domain.com and everything worked great. When the need came to move this to production I wrote scripts to import thousands of users and I created the accounts for just domain.com because that's what we wanted mail to be sent/received as.

Now what I have are about 15,000 users who are @domain.com and who cannot send any email.

What I'd like to do is convert the 15,000 users to @mail.domain.com and I guess put an alias on that for @domain.com

Does this make sense? How might I go about doing this? I don't think I want to create the aliases until I have moved the accounts to @mail.domain.com right?

Quote Originally Posted by dbo View Post
    I can login using:

Domain Name Registration, E-mail, Web Hosting while the user's domain is set to zimbra.mydomain.com but as soon as I change it to mydomain.com I can no longer log in.
    Did you also change mydomain.com as your new default domain? If not did you tried logging using username@mydomain.com?
    Last edited by grexk; 09-26-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbo View Post
    I originally installed zimbra for mail.domain.com and everything worked great. When the need came to move this to production I wrote scripts to import thousands of users and I created the accounts for just domain.com because that's what we wanted mail to be sent/received as.

Now what I have are about 15,000 users who are @domain.com and who cannot send any email.

What I'd like to do is convert the 15,000 users to @mail.domain.com and I guess put an alias on that for @domain.com
    They are able to received email right? Can you post your /var/log/zimbra.log after testing sending email?

I actually ended up just doing a fresh install and setting up aliases and cnames for the mail.domain.com rather than treating them as separate domains and things are working now. Thanks for the help.