Thread: account sharing for staff that job share

Default account sharing for staff that job share

I've been searching through the forums and I would assume this question has been asked but I'd like to check that my thinking is right on this.

I've set up Zimbra at a site where two employees job share. Of course they want to share email. It seems a bit odd to me that to do this I would need to set up another account that no one will actually be using and then share the In Box and Sent box on that account. Is that the correct way to allow two users to have a common email address that they both can view all incoming and outgoing mail to/from?

TIA

Maybe - but what about using 1 account, with an alias, and make that alias into a persona. That way it is literally 1 account, but two email addresses, so that people can distinguish between which of the two job-share employees wrote what...

Default accout sharing for staff that job share

hmm, i'm afraid I don't understand how your suggestion accomplishes the goal of having two staff share an account without losing their own identities. I wrote to tech support and they had a solution as well but again, it really didn't meet the need in a clean manner. Due to time constraints I had to get a solution to the client so here's what I did:

I createe a Zimbra account 'my_shared_account' and in that account I shared out the Inbox folder and the Sent folder to the two users who are job sharing. Then I created a persona in each of those two users' accounts with the return address and reply-to of 'my_shared_account' and selected the option for that persona to be automatically used for any mail replied to that was sent to 'my_shared_account'.

I haven't heard back from the users but I did test the setup at our development site and it does appear to meet all their needs. Time will tell.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance. I really do appreciate it.

Cheers from downunder.

Default sent mail not stored in sent shared sent folder

I had a customer with a similar job sharing requirement. We tried the persona setup and found that it would have worked except we couldnt make all mail sent with that persona get put into the shared accounts sentmail folder.

Zimbra persona setup page needs the ability to select alternate sent mail folder or a folder to place a copy to, or option to cc an address automatically when using the persona.

dion
    --
    Zimbra 6.0.3
    CentOS 5.3

Shared accounts are usually a bad idea from an accountability perspective.

Create a distribution list (support@example.com) and two individual accounts (admin1@example.com and admin2@example.com).
    Set zimbraAllowFromAddress on both accounts to be support@example.com, this will allow you to create persona's as support@example.com.
    Alternatively you could also set the canonical address to be support@example.com for both admin accounts if they only send mail as that address.

Code:
    zmprov ca admin1@example.com passwd
    zmprov ca admin2@example.com passwd 
    zmprov cdl support@example.com
    zmprov adlm support@example.com admin1@example.com admin2@example.com
    zmprov ma admin1@example.com zimbraAllowFromAddress support@example.com
    zmprov ma admin2@example.com zimbraAllowFromAddress support@example.com
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Default -

I think the problem is one user doesnt know other users have replied to a particular email (an auto cc for a persona would be helpful for this) they like the common sent folder idea for a persona.

dion
    --
    Zimbra 6.0.3
    CentOS 5.3

Hi!

Can I have more information about this command, please?
    I don't understand what it do...
    Code:
    zmprov ma admin1@example.com zimbraAllowFromAddress support@example.com
    Can I modify this setting from the administration console too?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Alternatively you could also set the canonical address to be support@example.com for both admin accounts if they only send mail as that address.
    Do I set this option from CLI?

I believe that one of these two solutions is what I'm searching.
    Actually I use a very simple mail server based on Ubuntu server with fetchmail, postfix and dovecot (IMAPS).
    I have one mail account (info@qualcosa.com) and three local users on server (io, ganimede, callisto): with fetchmail I retrieve the emails from my ISP and deliver them to a postfix alias "info", so I avoid multidrop use of fetchmail.
    /etc/postfix/aliases
    Code:
    info: io, ganimede, callisto
    The three users login to mail server as local users with Thunderbird and manage their emails as they want.
    In reality they have the same email account to receive and send mail: info@qualcosa.com.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my poor English,
    wo

Quote Originally Posted by wodanymir View Post
    Do I set this option from CLI?
    Wiki :: Can the administrator change the canonical email address of the user?