Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Installing Zimbra on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Installing Zimbra on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

    I've got a new installation of Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) 64 bit on a machine. I have 1 question and 1 problem.

    Question: This machine's dns name is mail.mydomain.com. A different machine is Domain Names, Shared Web Hosting and Site Design Tools - MyDomain. What do I put in the installation if Zimbra for my host? Is it mail.mydomain.com or just mydomain.com?

    Problem: During installation, I get the following error:
    Code:
    Wed Oct  8 13:22:11 2008 Initializing ldap...
    Wed Oct  8 13:22:11 2008 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmldapinit
    
    
    IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection refused at /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmldapinit line 160.
    Wed Oct  8 13:22:51 2008 failed. (28416)
    This is a vanilla installation of Ubuntu. I've not installed any firewall. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong.

    Tom

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Gday tikitom,

    I found this error to be related to your /etc/hosts file... I had an incorrect IP address assigned to my "mail.mydomain mail" entry. Once I corrected this and ran ./install -u && ./install again, it seems to work (well at least got past the ldap issue).

    Example of what my /etc/hosts looks like:
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.3 mail.mydomain mail

    I had 192.168.0.2 instead of 192.168.0.3 (the mail server).

    mail.mydomain is also resolvable via my LAN DNS server (not an Internet DNS server).

    Hope that helps.

    Cya round
    Jinx

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    6

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    6

    Default I'm having trouble with Zimbra on Ubuntu 8.04 too

    Hi everybody
    I work for little local gov here in Italy and I'm trying to install Zimbra 5 on a Ubuntu 8.04 server (installed over a ESXi VMWare virtual machine).
    I followed the wiki installation guide and read a lot of forum but still get ERROR n. 28416 when the procedure tries to initialize LDAP.
    The Ubuntu mail server is behind a firewall (where I set forwarding rules to the mail server for ports 53, 25 and 110).
    I can correctly ping google.com (how they write on the wiki), the nslookup of my domain correctly gives me the internal IP of the Ubuntu mail server (where Bind9 is installed too).
    I read about the visudo "default requiretty", but on my sudoer the default is not requiretty but env_reset (which I tried tio comment and de-comment, anyway).
    I read about the debian_version and, how somebody suggest, tried to rename it debian_version_zimbra, without any good.
    I really would approciate some other help, because I dont know what else to try...
    Thank you for your patience.
    Stefano

  5. #5
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stebed1960 View Post
    Hi everybody
    I work for little local gov here in Italy and I'm trying to install Zimbra 5 on a Ubuntu 8.04 server (installed over a ESXi VMWare virtual machine).
    I followed the wiki installation guide and read a lot of forum but still get ERROR n. 28416 when the procedure tries to initialize LDAP.
    The Ubuntu mail server is behind a firewall (where I set forwarding rules to the mail server for ports 53, 25 and 110).
    I can correctly ping google.com (how they write on the wiki), the nslookup of my domain correctly gives me the internal IP of the Ubuntu mail server (where Bind9 is installed too).
    I read about the visudo "default requiretty", but on my sudoer the default is not requiretty but env_reset (which I tried tio comment and de-comment, anyway).
    I read about the debian_version and, how somebody suggest, tried to rename it debian_version_zimbra, without any good.
    I really would approciate some other help, because I dont know what else to try...
    Thank you for your patience.
    Stefano
    Did you follow the Split DNS set-up in that guide?
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Did you follow the Split DNS set-up in that guide?
    If you mean setting the ISP DNS addresses for forwarders in the named.cong.options file, yes, I did.
    thank you for answering!

  7. #7
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stebed1960 View Post
    If you mean setting the ISP DNS addresses for forwarders in the named.cong.options file, yes, I did.
    thank you for answering!
    No, I don't mean that. What I mean is, have you installed a local DNS server on your LAN that resolves the LAN IP of your server and has correct DNS A & MX records set as outlined in the link I gave you?

    That section on DNS set-up contains more than just adding your ISPs DNS addresses and does nothing to resolve your problem. Follow the exact steps outlined in that section of the article for DNS and you'll solve your problem.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No, I don't mean that. What I mean is, have you installed a local DNS server on your LAN that resolves the LAN IP of your server and has correct DNS A & MX records set as outlined in the link I gave you?

    That section on DNS set-up contains more than just adding your ISPs DNS addresses and does nothing to resolve your problem. Follow the exact steps outlined in that section of the article for DNS and you'll solve your problem.
    I followed every single word of the wiki install guide.
    I installed bind on the same server where I am trying to install zimbra and i set it exactly how the guide said.
    In fact, from that server, I can ping the outside world (google.com) and the nslookup of the domain resolvs the exact internal ip addres (of the same server where bind is and mail server is instaling).
    Everything is possible, but I controlled it so many times, I think must be something else ...

  9. #9
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Run the following commands on the ZImbra server and post the output here:

    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    
    dig yourdomain.com mx
    dig yourdomain.com any
    
    host `hostname`  <-- type that exactly as you ssee it & use backticks not single quotes
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Run the following commands on the ZImbra server and post the output here:

    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    
    dig yourdomain.com mx
    dig yourdomain.com any
    
    host `hostname`  <-- type that exactly as you ssee it & use backticks not single quotes
    Thank you, Bill for taking care of my problem.
    Here it is what you asked me:

    stebed@mail:~$ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.2 mail.arcusys.net mail

    # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts



    stebed@mail:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.0.2



    stebed@mail:~$ dig arcusys.net mx

    ; <<>> DiG 9.4.2 <<>> arcusys.net mx
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 48286
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;arcusys.net. IN MX

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    arcusys.net. 604800 IN MX 10 mail.arcusys.net.

    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    arcusys.net. 604800 IN NS mail.arcusys.net.

    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    mail.arcusys.net. 604800 IN A 192.168.0.2

    ;; Query time: 1 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.0.2#53(192.168.0.2)
    ;; WHEN: Sat Feb 28 09:39:29 2009
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 80


    stebed@mail:~$ dig arcusys.net any

    ; <<>> DiG 9.4.2 <<>> arcusys.net any
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 58267
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;arcusys.net. IN ANY

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    arcusys.net. 604800 IN SOA mail.arcusys.net. stebed.arcusys.net. 70726 604800 86400 2419200 604800
    arcusys.net. 604800 IN NS mail.arcusys.net.
    arcusys.net. 604800 IN MX 10 mail.arcusys.net.
    arcusys.net. 604800 IN A 192.168.0.2

    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    mail.arcusys.net. 604800 IN A 192.168.0.2

    ;; Query time: 62 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.0.2#53(192.168.0.2)
    ;; WHEN: Sat Feb 28 09:40:27 2009
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 139



    stebed@mail:~$ host 'mail'
    Host mail not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    stebed@mail:~$ host "mail"
    Host mail not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    stebed@mail:~$ host "mail.arcusys.net"
    mail.arcusys.net has address 192.168.0.2
    stebed@mail:~$ host 'mail.arcusys.net'
    mail.arcusys.net has address 192.168.0.2

    I couldn't find the backticks you told me about the hostname sintax. (maybe because of my italian keyboard...or maybe I need help about finding that too...sorry.)

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Install Problem in Ubuntu 6.06 Server
    By xtimox in forum Installation
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 07:21 PM
  3. [SOLVED] Error Installing Zimbra on RHEL 5
    By harris7139 in forum Installation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM
  4. Zimbra shutdowns every n hours.
    By Andrewb in forum Administrators
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  5. Fedora Core 3, Clean Install - Not working!
    By pcjackson in forum Installation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •