Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra External/Internal Domain Question

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra External/Internal Domain Question

Hi Everyone,

I have Zimbra up and running just fine, but have a quick question that I can't seem to figure out.

My Zimbra Server is part an internal (.local) domain, with hostname zimbra.mydomain.local

I also have a Registered Domain name, and am able to access the server no problem using this address. mail.mydomain.com.

The problem is, if I were to forward a link (eg. Shared Document/Briefcase), the link supplied uses the (.local) domain. So without manually editing the link to reflect our external registered domain, I don't know what to do.

Is there a way I can have zimbra use "mail.mydomain.com" instead of the hostname of the server?

I apologize if this is NOT explained correctly.

TIA

You can configure each domain with the public service host name to be used for REST URLs. Used for example in sharing Document notebooks, Mail, and Biefcase folders, as well as Tasks, Contacts, and Calendars.

By default shares are generated with the zimbra_server_hostname/zimbraServiceHostname into a URL http://server.domain.com/service/home/username and @domain.com is appended to the username if it varies from the zimbraDefaultDomainName.

If Zimbra is generating a URL like http://server.domain.com and you'd rather have it http://mail.domain.com or other hostname:
    Code:
    zmprov md domain.tld zimbraPublicServiceHostname hostname.domain.tld
    You can use another FQDN like "mail.domain.tld" as long as 'mail' has a proper DNS entry to point at 'server' both internally and externally.

In 5.0.9+ REST URL's can now be composed of 3 attributes: zimbraPublicService[Protocol + Hostname + Port] to avoid dependency on zimbraServer objects. 'Protocal' & 'Port' are automatically configured on upgrade if you have 'Hostname' set. Bug 29978 - remove requirement that zimbraPublicServiceHostname have a corresponding zimbraServer object You can just set 'Hostname' and run fine if you should forget to set 'Protocol' & 'Port'.

(I use it, though .local is can occasionally create issues if you have any conflicting zeroconf setups; many use .internal, .int, .lan, .localnet, or .site instead. But based on older posts I assume you're already up and running/have no plans change your dns and run through zmsetservername etc any time soon - just a note for others.)
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-08-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Thank-you for the help. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Works great now. I can send links to external users.