Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plz Help Me Install Zimbra For My Bosses Company I'm So Lost

Unhappy Plz Help Me Install Zimbra For My Bosses Company I'm So Lost

Ok, first of all sorry for the caps, I know thats not appreciated, but it does express my emotions right now. I told my boss I would be able to do this probably fine. He heard about Zimbra and wants to use it for his mail. I suggested google apps because thats easy and easy for me, but he doesn't want google having his stuff. So he bought a computer, and installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron on it. I read around and not sure if he needs to have a different os, hopefully this one is ok. I've been connecting remotely to control his new computer from my asus eee. I downloaded the open source tgz file to the tmp folder and extracted it. I then opened terminal and went to the directory and ran ./install.sh and got stopped with the error:

ERROR: Installation can not proceeed. Please fix your /etc/hosts file
    to contain:

Where is the ip address of the host,
    is the FULLY QUALIFIED host name, and
    is the (optional) hostname-only portion

I did google around and searched the boards so please don't yell at me, but I still can't figure out how to fix it.
    I opened the hosts file and this is what is there:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 central-one

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

I have been searching all day and trying different solutions. Please don't tell me to search more. I need help specific to my situation. And just for extra info you may need this guy has 3 companies and is looking to start a new mail server and not really move anything over. Thanks in advance anyone who decides to take time out and help this n00b. Please leave AIM's/Skype's/Gtalks/Emails/Y!s/Etc. So that maybe I can talk to you while doing it and get guided through the situation. Thank you so so so so so so much.

Hey Ryan, welcome to the forums.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    127.0.1.1 central-one.domain central-one

(Whatever value for the IP)

Also just a heads up the default domain will typically be 'server.domain.com' as the behavior is to use FQDN for the mail domain (so emails would appear as root@server.domain.com). The install script attempts to verify an MX record pointing at the IP for which that FQDN resolves, if it doesn't find an MX it prompts to change the domain name.

Even if it finds an MX record you can change the default domain name that gets provisioned under:
    Option 2) zimbra-ldap
    Ldap configuration
    1) Status: Enabled
    2) Create Domain: yes
    3) Domain to create: zimbra.com
    And you can always add as many domains as you wish later:
    zmprov createDomain domain.com

Accounts relative to the zimbraDefaultDomainName can login with user/pass without typing the full user@domain.com. To have this functionality for users in other domains you can set virtual hosts (zimbraVirtualHostname attribute) so they don't need to type @domain.com as part of their login.

These few commands (from both the zimbra server and outside) are your friends:
    dig mx domain.com
    dig any domain.com
    more /etc/hosts
    more/etc/resolv.conf
    host `hostname` (as is & backticks near the 1 key, not the same as the double quote key)

If behind a NAT you might also need a Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Making Zimbra & BIND Work Together » Zimbra :: Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Hey Ryan, welcome to the forums.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    127.0.1.1 central-one.domain central-one

(Whatever value for the IP)

Also just a heads up the default domain will typically be 'server.domain.com' as the behavior is to use FQDN for the mail domain (so emails would appear as root@server.domain.com). The install script attempts to verify an MX record pointing at the IP for which that FQDN resolves, if it doesn't find an MX it prompts to change the domain name.

Even if it finds an MX record you can change the default domain name that gets provisioned under:

And you can always add as many domains as you wish later:
    zmprov createDomain domain.com

Accounts relative to the zimbraDefaultDomainName can login with user/pass without typing the full user@domain.com. To have this functionality for users in other domains you can set virtual hosts (zimbraVirtualHostname attribute) so they don't need to type @domain.com as part of their login.

These few commands (from both the zimbra server and outside) are your friends:
    dig mx domain.com
    dig any domain.com
    more /etc/hosts
    more/etc/resolv.conf
    host `hostname` (as is & backticks near the 1 key, not the same as the double quote key)

If behind a NAT you might also need a Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Making Zimbra & BIND Work Together » Zimbra :: Blog
    Thank you for the welcome, so what you put is what i should put in the hosts file and delete all thats below that? Exactly like that? And which IP are you talking about, see before I have only worked as a tech for ISP's and basic computer customers, so the only IP I know is the public IP which his is dynamic, so I read I may need to do something about that, using that dyndns site which i signed up for but dont know where to go from there, and hes behind a router also. Actually most of this I don't understand (FQDN, MX record) I am stupider than I thought. Here I thought I was a lil computer geek that could do anything. Now I can understand how old ladies feel when I say things like SMTP and POP3 and URL, but this is all craziness to me, I just need to know what steps iI need to take, what commands to give, and what I need to ask my boss for, since he currently runs his own mail service and has all that info probably. And like I said If someone could give me some type of contact info so that I could contact you while remote controlling his comp that would be awesome. I really thank you for such a response, I'm sorry but I still don't understand.

As Mike has already said if you are behind a firewall/router and the server will be on a private LAN you will require a Split DNS architecture. If you are using dyndns then you need to get that sorted first so that the MX (Mail Exchange) record is able to point to a server which is addressable from the public side of your router.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    As Mike has already said if you are behind a firewall/router and the server will be on a private LAN you will require a Split DNS architecture. If you are using dyndns then you need to get that sorted first so that the MX (Mail Exchange) record is able to point to a server which is addressable from the public side of your router.
    i still don't know where to start or what to do. i guess i might as well just give up and tell him we need to use google docs. i just don't understand any of this and i'm sure i'm frustrating you guys.

and also since i did mention it, im assuming that zimbra will work on ubuntu desktop edition, bc thats what we have, maybe if we switch to server edition it will work. I just want to be able to follow something step by step to get zimbra up and running, like something where i just copy and paste code to terminal, and it doesn't seem like zimbra is that easy to install. oh and i meant the google apps suite not google docs

You could recommend to your boss that he purchases the Network Edition version and contact support for assistance. They may be able to remotely help with the installation then. Have just read your first post again and you say that it is being installed on his computer; I presume you mean a server and not just his normal desktop machine

You could recommend to your boss that he purchases the Network Edition version and contact support for assistance. They may be able to remotely help with the installation then. Have just read your first post again and you say that it is being installed on his computer; I presume you mean a server and not just his normal desktop machine
    well the thing is im his tech support, he pays me to help him, and i want to be able to help him with anything, and this is what he wants to do, hes become all into open source and wants his business to move in that direction. i have mild experience with that, i mean i run a linux os, and can work with ubuntu fine. well he went out and bought a new comp to be used for this purpose. and he installed ubuntu, but just regular ubuntu desktop edition hardy heron. but figuring that the open source idea is about community support, i figured i could help him, we need to use the free edition, and i was hoping the zimbra community would be supportive enough to help a complete n00b (me). I am broke right now and this is currently my only job. and i really want to learn all of this as well. :\ i know theres someone out there that will be willing to help me out :[

Well first of all your boss will need to install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Server version with Long Term Support). Have you read the Wiki article both Mike and myself posted ? Have you read through the document FOSS Quick Start Installation guide ?

Well first of all your boss will need to install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Server version with Long Term Support). Have you read the Wiki article both Mike and myself posted ? Have you read through the document FOSS Quick Start Installation guide ?
    yes i had read over that actually a few times, most of the stuff might as well been written in spanish bc i didn't understand most of it. it seems like maybe i would if i had experience with zimbra, or a lot of linux knowledge, also i didnt see anything in the guide about ubuntu at all, just fedora and red hat. i think i need direct contact with someone who can help me out that has done this before, im guessing that nobody working for zimbra is going to help me directly without me being a paid customer, so if theres a good samaritan out there willing to let me contact them and help me out, maybe even help with remote control, let me know i would really appreciate that