Thread: How to deal with MX record in testing environment ?

Default How to deal with MX record in testing environment ?

Hello,

I try to install zimbra (Open Source Edition, last release for Debian) for testing purpose only in the local area. There is no private dns in this area, and a messaging system is already running, with mx record on public dns. So Zimbra don't like to not have a MX record. What is the workarround ?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums

Set up a Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki architecture.

Thanks for your answer. I thing to this solution, but it is exactly what I try to avoid. In other words, if my understandig is correct, there is no way to setup Zimbra whitout MX record ? Even for internal messaging only ?
    I am a little bit disapointed (there is no such constraints with Lotus Domino serveur) because internal dns (such as Bind) is heavy for a small corp. In most cases they use simple solution as DNSmask and mail are forwarded through a smtp gateway owned by their ISP.
    At this time I try to know how integrating Zimbra in the most simple way. If a Bind server is required it is not simple. I'm not affraid about Bind, but customers are.

Whos customers ? BIND (DNS) is a fundamental part of the Internet and so are MX records. Also remember Domino uses connector documents as its way of finding where servers are. I know which I prefer to manage

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Whos customers ? BIND (DNS) is a fundamental part of the Internet and so are MX records.
    I agree but small corps don't want to manage it.
    Also remember Domino uses connector documents as its way of finding where servers are. I know which I prefer to manage
    There is no need of connection document for a single server, (for multiple servers it depend on how are designed Domino named networks) even if routing internet mails (external domains) through a smtp gateway. The knwoledge of ip address of the internet smtp gateway is the only thing you need.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ccnet View Post
    I agree but small corps don't want to manage it.
    That's rubbish, many of the users of these forums have implemented it with little or no knowledge of DNS. For a simple DNS server on a LAN then BIND is more than adequate and fairly simple to use, you can configure it with Webmin or via the instructions in the forum and wiki. If you know of something that's easier to implement or suits your requirements better then feel free use that, it only has to be a DNS server and not specifically BIND.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That's rubbish, many of the users of these forums have implemented it with little or no knowledge of DNS. For a simple DNS server on a LAN then BIND is more than adequate and fairly simple to use, you can configure it with Webmin or via the instructions in the forum and wiki. If you know of something that's easier to implement or suits your requirements better then feel free use that, it only has to be a DNS server and not specifically BIND.
    I'm not affraid by Bind or another DNS server. That's not the point. If you tell me that it's the only way : ok. It was my question. Somethings easier is to not need internal MX record for an internal testing. If it's not possible : "c'est la vie" and I setup Bind.
    At this time all I need is a simple local testing environment. No more.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The point is that Postfix requires an MX for correct mail delivery, there's no way around that.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

If Postfix is used only on a local network that not true. You can tell postfix to not perfom MX lookup when, in main.cf, you set relayhost like :
    relayhost = [firewall.example.com]
    It would be nice if Zimbra can be setup like that instead searching for a MX record.