Thread: Zimbra Server Reboot Problems

Default Zimbra Server Reboot Problems

I have a Cent OS 5.2 server running Zimbra and Apache that reboots every 12-36 hours. The only thing that shows up in the logs is 'restart'

A couple of questions:

Is it a problem to have Apache running on the same server with Zimbra?

There are three instances of MySQL running:

First running from /usr/libexec/mysqld
    Second running from /opt/zimbra/logger/mysql/libexec/mysqld
    And last running from /opt/zimbra/mysql/libexec/mysqld

Is that normal?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Yes, the mysql instances are normal. It's recommended that you don't have any other server on the Zimbra box but many people do run Apache (and a few other things). I'd recommend you test the RAM (a very long test of 24-48hrs) on your server and also look for any HD errors, this isn't likely to be a Zimbra problem.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Welcome to the forums

Yes it is possible to run apache aswell but you would need to move ZCS onto a different port.

With respect to your reboot issue do you have access to the console so that you can see if there are any error messages ? Is this a physical machine or VM ?

Zimbra is running on a physical machine and Zimbra is on its own port. The server seemed to very rarely reboot before installing Zimbra. My logs are attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you running any screen savers ? If its persistant to a certain amount of time, then it is something to check.

Have you mounted anything new recently as well ?? I could be wrong, but it looks like your having a few mount issues as well. I believe this could cause problems with the .gconf as well.

And to help answer your question regarding Apache and CentOS, I have Apache and CentOS running on the same box now. Never once had an issue with it (knock on wood).

Default Check RAM.

I like phoenix's idea about RAM. Nearly every machine I've ever had that reboot itself out of the clear blue ended up having a bad stick of memory.

The server is running in text mode so there shouldn't be any GUI issues. Regarding newly mounted devices causing problems, the problem has been present from the beginning.

Regarding memory, I have a second server with nearly the same specs with the same problem but less frequently which leads me to wonder if there is an issue with Compaq Proliant 5500s and Cent OS 5.2.

I would not go with CentOS being an issue on any box. Its not a matter of that I would not think.

If not running gui, then I would believe hardware. Memory is a really good place to look. If both boxes are the same setup, as you say, then verify the memory type. It has been noted in the past to have mismatched sticks in factory boxes. Verify both are compatible with your setup just to make sure.

Ive seen Cent running on PII's with no issues. The .gnof has nothing to do with CentOS... for the most part.

For clarity, when you say reboot, you mean the entire server reboots; going down to BIOS and SCSI checks and then launching the OS, or do you mean that Zimbra restarts?

Try to check log files outside of zimbra, it could be hardware related or there may be some other software process running that's causing it.

Does the reboot seem to coincide with a period of heavy load? The SCSI interface on those servers was not the best if I remember right, it is possible the bus is loading heavily and causing the processors to reset?