Thread: multiple uses of same server

Default multiple uses of same server

I've been running Zimbra at home as well as at work for quite a while now, and it's always ran on it's own server, be that physical or virtual.

I''ve now changed the configuration of my home network and ditched the use of VMWare. The Zimbra VM always ran very slowly, even though the server was of decent spec (twin core 3.2G Xeon, 8GB ram).

So the server is now running plain Ubuntu 8.04 and Zimbra 5.0.11, I've just finished getting it all working, I just need to get my SSL certificate back in (I hate SSL more than anything in IT)

I want to use the server for more than just zimbra still though, which will involve installing PHP, Apache2 and MySQL on it for general use.

The merits of this have been discussed before and I know it's not the best idea in the world, but the question I have is this:

Should I move the Zimbra ports for SQL & webserver to nonstandard ports so they dont interfere with the general services --OR
    Should I install the general services on nonstandard ports and leave the Zimbra ports where they are?

I'm thinking it will be much easier to move the Zimbra ports (and if that's so, can I get some help there? )

Could I get a few opinions on the best way to go?

Dirk,

Will you be performing port forwarding on your firewall ? Personally I would have thought it would have been easier to leave ZCS on its standard ports and move the others. Certainly that may ease any upgrade issues aswell.

Thanks Uxbod.

Ports will be redirected by the firewall if needed, yes.

I've just noticed that zimbra already uses nonstandard ports for mysql. I cant believe I didnt already realise this !

I have zimbra running in https only mode, so I've installed mysql using standard ports, and apache using port 80 only.

That seems to be working already

I'm installing a kodicom 4400r card into the server to use it with Zoneminder cctv system, that's why it cant be in a VM, as the VM wont see the card. More testing to do, but it seems to 'just work' right now.

Ohh, Zoneminder Would be interested to hear how you get on Dirk. I presume you shall be using analogue cameras ? Thought about getting a couple of Axis digital ones but the are still quite expensive