Thread: Installing a secondary server

Question Installing a secondary server

Does anybody have documentation about how to install Zimbra as a secondary email server using an existing email server to authenticate?

For example:

mail1.example.com is primary mail server (not Zimbra - regular Linux /etc/shadow)
    mail2.example.com is secondary mail server (web interface using Zimbra)

Thanks in advance,

I did what the document says, but

1. I did not get my users list
    2. I created a user that exist on the primary server and logged in with it, but when sending email it says email addresses not accepted

Any suggestion?

How about ,how should I install it on the secondary server? (which services should I install)

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by jfha73; 01-02-2009 at 04:00 PM.

I forgot to say,

I'm not migrating my users to the secondary server, what I'm trying to do is setup a secondary server that takes the users emails from the primary server and displays them using Zimbra webmail Ajax interface, eg.

mail1 (primary mail server using /etc/shadow for auth and store emails in regular linux MBOX)
    mail2 (people will login using this server with Zimbra getting emails from mail1)

Is this enough for making a better picture of what I want to do?

Quote Originally Posted by jfha73 View Post
    I forgot to say,

I'm not migrating my users to the secondary server, what I'm trying to do is setup a secondary server that takes the users emails from the primary server and displays them using Zimbra webmail Ajax interface, eg.

mail1 (primary mail server using /etc/shadow for auth and store emails in regular linux MBOX)
    mail2 (people will login using this server with Zimbra getting emails from mail1)

Is this enough for making a better picture of what I want to do?
    Probably not what you want to hear, but if it were me I'd set up mail1 as an MTA-only and LDAP replica Zimbra server, and mail2 as the Zimbra LDAP master and user mailbox server. List mail1 as your primary MX in public DNS.

You'll get the Ajax web interface you want on mail2, and mail1 will do all the inbound/outbound email processing, which is what I think you really want to accomplish, albeit a bit differently than you initially proposed.

If you have thousands of users already, Zimbra has some solid bulk import capabilities for migrating users and their existing mail stores.

Plus, going forward you'll just have the one Admin Console interface to manage everything.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

The problem with that snvironment is that mail1 does not have any LDAP users, all the users are using local authentication, so there is no way to replicate an LDAP server.

For Authentication, Zimbra only supports LDAP and Active Directory schemas. We do not support posix login standards at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by jfha73 View Post
    The problem with that snvironment is that mail1 does not have any LDAP users, all the users are using local authentication, so there is no way to replicate an LDAP server.
    I understand that, and I am suggesting that in the long run abandoning that environment for Zimbra's LDAP environment on both servers will save you administration and maintenance headaches going forward. Also, Zimbra has a lot of good bulk import scripts, so the actual migration may not be as problematic as you might be thinking.

Hope that helps,
    Mark