Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interupted 3.0 -> 3.1 upgrade

Default Interupted 3.0 -> 3.1 upgrade

Hi - I was upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1 remotely when my connection was broken and when I got my commection back and started again I ran into issues

Have I lost all my mail or can I do a fresh install using backed up configs (I noticed it backs up configs)

Im running it on Centos BTW - here is the error i get

Setting defaults...Setting defaults from existing config...Done
    Checking for port conflicts
    Starting ldap...Done
    Setting defaults from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup server by name: zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup server by name: zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup server by name: zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    Done
    Checking ldap on localhost:389...

It suuggests a name resolution problem but i have tried to look up the name from the server and it works - here is what eventually happens

Checking ldap on localhost:389...FAILED ( ldap_result: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
    # extended LDIF
    #
    # LDAPv3
    # base <> with scope subtree
    # filter: (objectclass=*)
    # requesting: ALL
    #
    )
    Checking ldap on localhost:389...FAILED ( ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1) )

Main menu

1) Hostname: zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD
    2) Ldap master host: zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD
    3) Ldap port: 389
    4) Ldap password: set
    5) zimbra-ldap: Enabled
    6) zimbra-store: Enabled
    +Create Admin User: no
    +SMTP host: zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD
    ******* +Web server HTTP port: UNSET
    ******* +Web server HTTPS port: UNSET
    +Web server mode: mixed
    +IMAP server port: 143
    +IMAP server SSL port: 993
    +POP server port: 110
    +POP server SSL port: 995
    +Use spell check server: yes
    +Spell server URL: http://zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD:7780/aspell.php

7) zimbra-mta: Enabled
    8) zimbra-snmp: Enabled
    9) zimbra-logger: Enabled
    10) zimbra-spell: Enabled
    r) Start servers after configuration yes
    s) Save config to file
    x) Expand menu
    q) Quit

I have tried setting the http and https ports and continuing - but to no avail

How can I get back to a working system?

Many thanks, Adrian

bin2hex, I had a similar error after a failed upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 on fedora core 4:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...4949#post14949

We've pulled the 3.1 release. Running the upgrade/install twice may remove LDAP since it migrates an empty LDIF. We are working on a new build now. Best bet is to restore your backup.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Easter

Thanks for the update Kevin - you are having an easter break though right ? :-)

Default Update: still having issues

So, as I didnt have a backup I decided to do a clean install last night and just live with the lost emails - this is only a test system at the moment

I did a clean install and re-created the accounts, and email started to flow in again. This moring I see that 3.1 is out. So I do a backup as recomended here http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showpos...09&postcount=7

I then did the upgrade but it bombed out - here is the relavent part of the output

Restoring existing configuration file from /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save...done
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.log.9217
    Setting defaults...Setting defaults from existing config...Done
    Upgrading from 3.0.1_GA_160 to 3.1.0_GA_332
    Sat Apr 15 12:41:22 2006: Stopping zimbra services
    Sat Apr 15 12:41:32 2006: Checking mysql status
    Sat Apr 15 12:41:33 2006: Starting mysql
    Sat Apr 15 12:41:35 2006: SELECT value FROM config WHERE name = 'db.version'
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/opt/zimbra/db/mysql.sock' (2)
    Error while running '/opt/zimbra/bin/mysql --user=zimbra --password=ytFv6o.zuByfvyAWfeUZCaV.eZEAL --database=zimbra --batch --skip-column-names'. at /opt/zimbra/libexec/scripts/Migrate.pm line 134.

I was pretty disappointed but glad that I had at least backed up my new server this time. However, when I deleted /opt/zimbra and copied the backup back into its place, I keep being asked for the LDAP password when trying to start Zimbra

zmcontrol start
    Host zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD
    Starting ldap...Password:

Even when i supply the password that I find with

/opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -s | grep ldap

it keeps asking for a password

Question: what part of the restore process am I doing wrong?

To be honest, Im tempted to do a clean install of 3.1 seeing as I lost all my mail yesterday (my fault for mot backing up I know) but I think its odd that Im having issues upgrading a clean install of 3.0 to 3.1

Adrian

> zmcontrol start
    > Host zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD
    > Starting ldap...Password:
    that password prompt is a little misleading. you're running this as zimbra right? i'm guessing that's the shell prompting for the zimbra password to sudo startup of slapd. it shouldn't need the password; what do you get from running "grep zimbra /etc/sudoers" as root?

Yeah, I agree with bobby, the password prompt is a little misleading. I belive you can continue without any dire consequences.

It looks like the .saveconfig had the wrong mysql password:
    Code:
    Sat Apr 15 12:41:22 2006: Stopping zimbra services
    Sat Apr 15 12:41:32 2006: Checking mysql status
    Sat Apr 15 12:41:33 2006: Starting mysql
    Sat Apr 15 12:41:35 2006: SELECT value FROM config WHERE name = 'db.version'
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/opt/zimbra/db/mysql.sock' (2)
    Error while running '/opt/zimbra/bin/mysql --user=zimbra --password=ytFv6o.zuByfvyAWfeUZCaV.eZEAL --database=zimbra --batch --skip-column-names'. at /opt/zimbra/libexec/scripts/Migrate.pm line 134.
    The only reason I say that is I had the exact same problem.
    Do you know your sql password? If not, you're going to have to run --skip-grant-tables on mysql and change the password (both root and zimbra). If you'd like detailed instructions, do a search on changing the mysql password.

Then run:
    zmlocalconfig -e -f mysql_root_password='password_here';
    zmlocalconfig -e -f zimbra_mysql_password='password_here';

Then stop mysql with the skip-grant-tables and start it normally. You can test to make sure that things are working by:
    su zimbra
    mysql mysql

If it lets you in, then you're okay.

If you get in, run /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl and continue.

Good luck!

that error from mysql makes me think that mysql isn't running at this point

"Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/opt/zimbra/db/mysql.sock' (2)"

Is this fixed? I am going to upgrade to 3.1 on FC4 this week. This is the build I have downloaded:

zcs-3.1.0_GA_332.FC4.tgz

Are we good to go with this one?

It's worked for several poeple. Just make a cold backup to be safe.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.