Thread: [SOLVED] Will Zimra do what I need ?

Default [SOLVED] Will Zimra do what I need ?

Hi

I'm considering setting up a ZCS server in our small charity office but I need to understand if it will do what I need

What we're after is a way for workers on the road to log into the server across the net and get emails, calendars etc etc but security is a concern (inevitably!)

i worked somewhere before where they had a similar setup - admittedly for email only - where the mailserver served up a webmail interface and incoming requests on port 80 were redirected to the mailserver - until it got hacked because of some flaw i never understood in the way the webmail was implemented

If we go down the ZCS route I'm thinking the workers will use the Zimra desktop client to log in - in which case what ports do we need to forward and can the entire connection be run over an SSH tunnel or something similar ? And how 'dangerous' would it be to have the port(s) sitting open ?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give

/neill

Welcome to the forums

Zimbra can be set to run on SSL (port 443) only so that should answer your concerns.

thanks

OK that seems fine, I take it it's all in tyhe install docs which I'l trawl through. Would internal clients on the LAN have to use SSL too ?

The ZCS would sit in a DMZ and I would ideally want to route LAN client requests to ZCS without SSL and only forward external requests to 443

Thanks for the speedy reply !

ZCS can listen on either/bor HTTP (80) or HTTPS (443) . So if you set it that when internal clients could connect on HTTP, then as your server would be in the DMZ just block port 80 to it on your firewall so that only 443 is available externally

Thanks - I'll get on a build a test server and have a play !

Doubtless I'll be asking more questions at some point

:-)

That is what we are here for