Thread: Needs dedicated server?

Hybrid View

Default Needs dedicated server?

Hi,

I'm thinking of installing zimbra on our RHEL 4 server which already runs apache, mysql and qmail. Does Zimbra need to replace qmail? Can it operate in tandem? I set it to run on a different port than the webserver, but I can't seem to get it working.

Sorry for this question, I know it seems stupid, but I can't seem to figure this out.

-J

did you happen to also download the documentation? from p.2 of the Zimbra Quick Start.pdf:

"Important. You cannot have any other web server, database, LDAP, or MTA server running when you install the Zimbra software. If you have installed any of [those] applications, before you install Zimbra software, disable these applications"

that said, of course, you could always run the existing servers or the zimbra servers on non-standard ports. you should be able to find more info here in the forums; most of the zimbra ports are configurable during install or in the admin console. note that the zimbra mysql already runs on non-standard ports.

you can definitely run other mta's together with zimbra, but zimbra is always going to be running postfix.