Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra system requirements and licences

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra system requirements and licences

We are small marketing office who's are planning to expand our services
    to web hosting for some of our customers in name of "making it easy for them".
    And we are considering to use zimbra in mail servers (multidomain etc...)
    But i have some questions first

1. System requirements:
    Your manuals says that in production use server with zimbra needs 2G RAM.
    Thats wow... a lot. With our current plans we would have max. 30 email accounts.
    So are you saying that it is really needing that much. Platform would be debian etch.
    I have feeling that debian + simple mail server with that amount of clients can run
    with 128Mt ram, lets say apache + mysql around 150Mt.
    So is openldap + application server + your codebase really needing that 1,7G in
    such a small usage? I assume it installs anyway without really checking amount of ram?

2. Licensing
    As mentioned previously we would be offering that as mail server for those of our clients
    who are wanting that we are hosting and administrating their websites. I assume
    that if we are using opensource edition we can still do that without charge as
    project seems to use sourceforge.net (what is requiring that license will be open),
    if we use opensource edition.
    And pay if we want to offer better features for our clients.
    Would we need to buy in that case by business license or contact to negotiate for
    price? If we are counted as service providers in case of opensource edition it is enough
    attleast if we remove all logos and names what is indicating to your trademarks, right?

Thanks for all answers what i possible get

Hi..
    1) 2 GB is good amount for smooth operations and its not that expensive to get 2GB or even more in today’s cost v/s business revenue environment.
    We have tons of servers with 1GB ram running zimbra just fine even for 100+ users. it all depends what KIND of user. imap and webmail require more ram than simple pop/smtp. antivirus scanning will require more ram based on your traffic or performance settings.

2) if you plan to use open source FREE version for shared web hosting then you are at a loss based on built in functionality of FREE version. There is no delegated domain admin i.e: you cannot give each customer its own admin interface..for that you need to get NE paid version which has all that and more..
    ** on plus side if you want you can build the control panel/simple admin using soap API..it works...we have it as we do offer shared zimbra services using our own CP interface using zimbra API

hope this helped

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Thanks for reply, yea i believe that we can start well with lower amount of ram, with
    traffict what we are expecting at start, and update server when traffic is increasing.
    Virtual server with 1G RAM is costing around 80€/month,
    so it more expensive than just buy more ram from shop.

Also i don't think that we are going to need to offer admin interface for our customers.
    It's kinda crazy to go competing with real hosting providers, we are just wanting to offer
    that to customers who want to order web pages from our marketing company, so
    that they don't need to think anything about technical. When we would be maintaining
    their web and mail servers, only thing they need to remember is to pay a bill

80 pounds UK ? for VS..its expensive
    VPS Hosting - Find VPS web hosting providers at Tophosts.com
    you can get half the price of that..thru many hosting providers

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Nah, in Finland. And that's one of cheapests reliable providers with direct fibre connection (ficix).