Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra to Zimbra (external) mail gateway?

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra to Zimbra (external) mail gateway?

Hi!

I'm a very happy new user of Zimbra Mail System running on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS actually on my "noname" Home PC.

Everything runs perfect apart some external mail hosts seems not to accept my mails because my external IP is from an dynamic IP Range. (Change at the ISP is allready ordered, but still not processed)

So I have the idea to use my old MS Exchange Server located on another location with "real" external IP and productive since many years.
    I do not want to keep MS Exchange Server 2003 processing my emails, I want to install another Ubuntu Linux Server with Zimbra 5.0.11 as mailgateway for all my external mails.

• Is this possible? Can I run another Zimbra Server on an complete different IP Range as mail relay gateway?

• How do I change the mail relay of my "real" local based Zimbra Server ?
      I didn't find a "howto"

Many thanks in advance - I love this forum cause many questions have allready been solved just by reading through.

Alex

Welcome to the forums

Another method would be to use your ISPs SMTP server as a smartrelay. Ask them which server you can relay through, and whether it requires authentication, and then set this in the ZCS Admin GUI. If they do require authentication then have a read of Wiki :: Outbound SMTP Authentication.

Default Mail relay.

If you setup Zimbra in place of your Exchange server you could possibly relay through it since it has a static public IP. The theory would be the same as using your ISP for relay.

Hi!

Many thanks for the quick response!

So I will try the outgoing smtp authentication story with a newly setup of Zimbra in the other location cause there I would have there a static IP which is allowed for sending and receiving emails.

I will let you know how I did it.

best regards

Alexander

Hi all!

I did try to configure my "main" zimbra host to forward (relay) all external messages through my "secondary" zimbra host on the other hoster environment.

I installed ubuntu 8.04 and zimbra 5.0.11 on the old ms exchange server and did configure it to work on the same way as my main zimbra host.

I followed the "HOW TO" mentioned by uxbod (SMTP: Outbound...) and finally all my queued outgoing mails disappeared on the main host. (clearly - it should work like this)

BUT: I did get undelivery messages from my "secondary" host with unable to relay!

I have no ideas what I did wrong. I did search in the var/log/zimbra.log but I did not find any hint why this server doesn't relay these messages.

Any idea?

Many thanks

Alex

Are the two servers on the same network range ? If not then you will need to add the IPs
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmprov gs `zmhostname` | grep zimbraMtaMyNetworks
    to see what networks are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Are the two servers on the same network range ? If not then you will need to add the IPs
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmprov gs `zmhostname` | grep zimbraMtaMyNetworks
    to see what networks are allowed.

No they are not on the same network range.

One is on 91.67.x.x and the other (external) 62.245.x.x

Clearly!! I do want to send from a complete different isp connected server (because of the "real" external IP) 91.67.x.x is also a "real" external ip but when you reverse lookup you will get the info this ip is from an dynamic ip range. which will be solved within one month (change of isp)... but until this change i want to forward all messages through the other zimbra server located on 62.245.x.x

I did add the ip from the 91.67.x.x on the relaying zimbra server with this command. But I'm not sure if I did the correct "/24"...

I did add the complete real external ip - no network range!!! Is this the problem?

Alex

Default Single IP needs...

/32. Using /24 will open up 256 IP's

Hi all!

Now I'm back in my home and I'm having real access to my server.

In zimbra management console I got an error since I added other networks (like i did with 91.67.x.x) it's not configured correctly!

Then I deleted all the entries in the MTA trusted networks and added 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.155.2/32 91.67.x.x/32 and i didn't get the error message anymore.

But still I get unable to relay from the external zimbra server...

I'm wondering why?

Please help - I have the feeling I'm very close!

Best regards

Alex
    Last edited by ASebestian; 01-22-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Message back!!!!

I was tooo stupid - the port 25 was directed to another server - now everything clear and all mails will be delivered through the new mailgateway!

By the way! Do I have to check security??? I mean i did enable only the local server (192.168.155.2 and my external "real" zimbra Server with 91.67.x.x/32)

There shouldn't be a possible connection on this server available to send messages, or???

And the last question:

What settings do I have to reset on the "real" zimbra server when my ISP changed the ip and I will have a "real" IP which is accepted from many mailservers to not forward anymore?

Best regards

Alex