[SOLVED] proper hostname configuration questions
Here is the scenario:
- I have a domain name (myDomain.com) registered
- myDomain.com's DNS is hosted out on the internet somewhere on a server which provides DNS, SMTP, POP/IMAP and HTTP services
- I've created a subdomain, home.myDomain.com, which points to a dynamic IP address. DNS records are updated with IP address changes
- I'd like to install Zimbra on a server at the dynamic IP address and have it aggregate e-mails from myDomain.com. (I'd install Zimbra on the internet server that serves DNS, etc. but I'd run out of storage space quickly)
Here are my main questions:
- Can Zimbra send e-mail from myDomain.com even though it will be configured at host: home.myDomain.com? If yes, how can I accomplish this?
- Should the Zimbra domain be myDomain.com or home.myDomain.com?
Where I'm at:
- I have Zimbra installed and it runs
- I can send/receive e-mails within the home.myDomain.com
- I cannot send e-mails to anywhere on the internet (I've configured the relay MTA but the logs show the relay refusing my connection. I know it is not authentication related. I'd like to check what postfix is actually saying to the relay MTA but I don't know where to look for that information!)
- I was able to set up an "external account" which successfully grabbed e-mail from the server off the internet. However, I can't configure the "from" address to read: account@myDomain.com (it will only let me select firstname.lastname@example.orgDomain.com)
I want to continue to have mail delivered to the server on the internet because I cannot count on my home.myDomain.com internet connection always being there. Also, I don't care to ever receive e-mail at email@example.comDomain.com. I only care to receive e-mail at account@myDomain.com