Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.0.13 safe to use/upgrade?

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Default 5.0.13 safe to use/upgrade?

Hi

After the various problems of previous releases, is 5.0.13 looking any better? Haven't seen the usual good/bad postings on this forum I usually go by (I used to be an early deployer/guinea pig but lost the appetite for it recently!). I'm looking to upgrade a NE 5.0.9 release this weekend. Any sparkling success stories or screaming disasters to report?

I run a test FOSS box I use for testing and archiving. My FOSS and NE systems are both 5.0.12 currently. I did a 5.0.9 to 5.0.11 upgrade cleanly, I assume a 5.0.9 to 5.0.13 should be smooth as well.

I'm installing right now before I load it on the production NE unit. I'll report back when I am done.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

FOSS installed fine and seems to be working, I'll do my NE box and see how that goes.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

My install did yield a weird step.

Setting Keyboard Shortcut Preferences...done.
    Setting zimbraFeatureIMEnabled=FALSE...done.
    Setting zimbraFeatureTasksEnabled=TRUE...done.
    Setting zimbraFeatureBriefcasesEnabled=TRUE...done.
    Setting zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled=TRUE...done.
    Setting MTA auth host...done.
    Setting TimeZone Preference...done.
    prov> exit
    I was at the "prov>" prompt and it was waiting for input. I typed in exit and it seems to have continued on correctly.

I think I'm going to hold off on my NE isntall for the moment.
    Culley

Quote Originally Posted by quietas View Post

I was at the "prov>" prompt and it was waiting for input. I typed in exit and it seems to have continued on correctly.
    The prov> line is not actually waiting for input. It's simply output that isn't squelched.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Default Prov>

I think I'm going to hold off on my NE isntall for the moment.
    You probably should have let it finish the install. My install of 12 did the same thing. It set there for a small amount of time and then proceeded with the rest of the install.

Yeah, I see that now. I sat there for 30 seconds or so watching it with no response. I entered exit and it went on it's way. Seems to be working fine though.

Anyone installed NE yet? I downloaded the wrong package on my NE box, so I won't be installing until tomorrow morning.
    Culley

Yeah, I see that now. I sat there for 30 seconds or so watching it with no response. I entered exit and it went on it's way. Seems to be working fine though.

Anyone installed NE yet? I downloaded the wrong package on my NE box, so I won't be installing until tomorrow morning.
    As I noted before, your entering of "exit" isn't really doing anything. It's the output from after a zmprov command was run, and it is not actually waiting for anything. It's just that the next step after that takes a while to execute, so it appears like it is waiting for input.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

I've just gone from 5.0.12 to .13 without a hitch. I agree the prov> prompt is a bit disconcerting, that's why I leave top running on another virtual console so I know that the installer is 'doing' something. I think the majority of problems with upgrades to .12 where to do with the logger-issue in .10, i.e. the logger wasn't running but had a pid and the installer tried to 'stop' it without success, that was what I experienced anyway.

So far the only issue with .13 has been the same one for all upgrades: my customised postfix/master.cf was overwritten and my disclaimer script was chmod -x 'd. I was expecting those, though.

I am also curious to hear from people who have upgraded. I am on 5.0.11 and was going to upgrade to 5.0.12 either this weekend or next. Obviously now I am getting 5.0.13 and will upgrade directly to that.

Anything to watch out for? Has the upgrade been fairly stress free? I generally wouldn't bother upgrading to a new version so quickly however I miss the ability to "View Mail" on resources which should be fixed in 13 ! (I took over at 5.0.2 and went directly to 5.0.6, then went from 5.0.6 directly to 5.0.11)

Are there still logger problems in the 5.0.13 install? It's still showing on the front page but obviously is for 5.0.12, was this fixed in 13?

In other words, as per the front page, do I need to run this before the upgrade:

IV. Workaround
    Kill all zmlogger processes prior to upgrading to avoid a failed upgrade.
    As user zimbra:
    $ zmloggerctl stop
    $ ps aux | grep zmlogger
    $ kill -9 zmlogger_PIDs

If the upgrade was already run and failed, apply the workaround above, then run /opt/zimbra/libexec/./zmsetup.pl as root to allow the upgrade to complete.