Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Source tarball?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Source tarball?

    There must be a better way. I have battled the build for 2 days. I have read readme_source.txt and the cvs build document. The information required is scattered across those documents and then the forums.

    In the docs I see reference to a source tarball with the ThirdParty stuff. I have looked everywhere. One used to exist according to Google.

    So...

    I battled with a the version from the CVS checkout for quite some time.
    (cvs -z6 -d server:anonymous:@cvs.zimbra.com:/usr/local/cvsroot co main
    ) and
    $ host cvs.zimbra.com
    cvs.zimbra.com has address 72.3.250.100
    so it matched what is build_cvs_howto.txt


    Following the cvs build document, I went on the milkrun to grab the ThirdParty items. Searched the forums for all the goodies like the mysql clientlibs caper etc. Things continued to break. I grabbed the versions as in
    build_cvs_howto.txt Then found the Makefile had the versions in it, so I edited those, then they weren't passed to the sub Makefiles...

    So I went back to the Debian developer build and did finally manage to get the Debian developer build running on Ubuntu Breezy. I did this under VmWare because all of this is too intrusive on a box you are using for other things. Being a minimal install on VmWare I had to work out all the packages.

    sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
    sudo apt-get install ssl-cert
    sudo apt-get install zlib1g zlib1g-dev
    sudo apt-get install autoconf
    sudo apt-get install libpcre3 libpcre3-dev expat libpopt0 libpopt-dev
    sudo apt-get install bison flex
    sudo apt-get install libtool libltdl3-dev
    sudo apt-get install automake automake1.7
    sudo apt-get install libbz2-dev bzip2 libbz2-1.0
    sudo apt-get install libgmp3-dev
    sudo apt-get install curl libwww-dev libcurl3-dev
    sudo apt-get install libsasl2 libgssapi1-heimdal
    sudo apt-get install libsasl2-modules-gssapi-heimdal
    sudo apt-get install libxml-dev

    Thanks to the gentleman who posted the Breezy kludge I got it working
    Then back to building from source...

    Then I grabbed the tarball from the CVS page and followed the instructions more along the lines of the readme_source.txt Of course, I needed the ThirdParty bits. Sometimes I used the once I downloaded previously, when they didn't work I tarred up the stuff from my successful Debian developer build install...

    tarballs in the build_cvs_howto.txt file had .tar.gz but .tgz was required when doing doing make dev-install from ZimbraBuild

    I fixed up broken files such as defs/devtargets.def

    peter@parker:~/zimbra/zcs_src/ZimbraBuild$ diff defs/devtargets.def.BROKEN defs/devtargets.def
    129c129
    < cp -f -R $(ZIMBRA_BIN_DIR)/zmmon $@
    ---
    > cp -f -R $(ZIMBRA_LIBEXEC_DIR)/zmmon $@
    169c169
    < (cd $@; tar xzf $(THIRD_PARTY)/mysql/$(BUILD_PLATFORM)/mysql-standard-4.1.10a-clientlibs.tgz)
    ---
    > (cd $@; tar xzf $(THIRD_PARTY)/mysql/$(BUILD_PLATFORM)/mysql-standard-4.1.16-clientlibs.tgz)
    174c174
    < cp -f -R $(SERVICE_DIR)/build/dist/libexec/zm*init $@
    ---
    > cp -f -R $(SERVICE_DIR)/src/libexec/zm*init $@
    186,187c186,187
    < cp -f $(ZIMBRA_BIN_DIR)/swatch $@
    < cp -f $(ZIMBRA_BIN_DIR)/swatch $@/logswatch
    ---
    > cp -f $(ZIMBRA_LIBEXEC_DIR)/swatch $@
    > cp -f $(ZIMBRA_LIBEXEC_DIR)/swatch $@/logswatch
    190,192c190,192
    < cp -f $(ZIMBRA_BIN_DIR)/zmlogrotate $@
    < cp -f $(ZIMBRA_BIN_DIR)/zmsnmpinit $@
    < cp -f $(ZIMBRA_BIN_DIR)/zmgengraphs $@
    ---
    > cp -f $(SERVICE_DIR)/conf/zmlogrotate $@
    > cp -f $(ZIMBRA_LIBEXEC_DIR)/zmsnmpinit $@
    > cp -f $(ZIMBRA_LIBEXEC_DIR)/zmgengraphs $@
    194c194
    < cp -f $(ZIMBRA_BIN_DIR)/zmroll_catalina.sh $@
    ---
    > cp -f $(ZIMBRA_LIBEXEC_DIR)/zmroll_catalina $@
    196c196
    < cp -f $(ZIMBRA_BIN_DIR)/zmfixperms.sh $@
    ---
    > cp -f $(ZIMBRA_LIBEXEC_DIR)/zmfixperms $@


    peter@parker:~/zimbra/zcs_src/ZimbraBuild$ diff defs/destination.def.BROKEN defs/destination.def
    32a33
    > ZIMBRA_LIBEXEC_DIR := $(BUILD_ROOT)/../ZimbraServer/src/libexec

    I fixed Makefiles.

    Finally *** Installation complete

    Now I'm debugging the installation. Stuff isn't in libexec that should be. That is probably due to the targets being wrong as above...

    I have built a lot of things over the years from all sorts of instructions with no help .... but I have never had such a struggle.

    I must be missing something... some other instructions... the source tarball... some other version of the source....

    There must be another way!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluetoad
    Now I'm debugging the installation. Stuff isn't in libexec that should be. That is probably due to the targets being wrong as above...

    I have built a lot of things over the years from all sorts of instructions with no help .... but I have never had such a struggle.

    I must be missing something... some other instructions... the source tarball... some other version of the source....

    There must be another way!

    If you find errors please post them to bugzilla. We'll agree that our source build is not easy. License/bandwidth wise we can't re-ship the source for every 3rd party component we use. We also pre-package binaries as part of the build to speed up builds so this is a bit unnatural to many folks.

    There are several folks out there who do build from source so it can be done but it's not something we recommend you do.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    If you find errors please post them to bugzilla. We'll agree that our source build is not easy.
    Kevin, I don't want to sound off at you because you seem very helpful in the forums. The product looks very promising.

    But is that the source that your team are working from or have they ever built it? I would have filled up the bug system. I don't believe someone would leave so much broken stuff checked in for 14 days or whatever.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    License/bandwidth wise we can't re-ship the source for every 3rd party component we use. We also pre-package binaries as part of the build to speed up builds so this is a bit unnatural to many folks.

    There are several folks out there who do build from source so it can be done but it's not something we recommend you do.
    OK. The per-packaged binaries ar part of the build... I see that sort of thing referred to. Can you please point me to the correct place to retrieve those.

    We would like to contribute back into the project.

    But currently I am missing something.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluetoad
    Kevin, I don't want to sound off at you because you seem very helpful in the forums. The product looks very promising.

    But is that the source that your team are working from or have they ever built it? I would have filled up the bug system. I don't believe someone would leave so much broken stuff checked in for 14 days or whatever.
    We have in internal copy of the code we develop on and check-in each change. The CVS instance we expose is a sync'd replica. At times the sync gets behind but in general is should be up-to-date. You don't have to file a bug for *each* problem. If they seem like real issues you can group several into a single bug report if needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluetoad
    OK. The per-packaged binaries ar part of the build... I see that sort of thing referred to. Can you please point me to the correct place to retrieve those.

    We would like to contribute back into the project.

    But currently I am missing something.
    Like I said we don't ship or supply them. You must get them from their respective sources; most are listed in the cvs build how-to.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    We have in internal copy of the code we develop on and check-in each change. The CVS instance we expose is a sync'd replica. At times the sync gets behind but in general is should be up-to-date. You don't have to file a bug for *each* problem. If they seem like real issues you can group several into a single bug report if needed.



    Like I said we don't ship or supply them. You must get them from their respective sources; most are listed in the cvs build how-to.
    We too would like to contribute to the project and spent a couple weeks attempting to get a CVS build to a point we could start to add code ... but were never able to get the CVS build stable enough to start to code. There has to be a way to give the community access to pre-build packages...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psewall
    We too would like to contribute to the project and spent a couple weeks attempting to get a CVS build to a point we could start to add code ... but were never able to get the CVS build stable enough to start to code. There has to be a way to give the community access to pre-build packages...

    If you just want to develop on Zimbra and not trying to build a production install. You can look at INSTALL.txt and just install a local OpenLDAP, MySQL, Tomcat and run in dev mode. It's much easier to develop this way anyways.

    Maybe you can post some of the problems your running into building. It may help focus the discussion.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I've documented the approach I ended up taking in the Wiki. I still have some issues, but this is a good start and lets me move forward.

    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...tware_yourself

Similar Threads

  1. Installs but won't start on Linux FC6
    By iain in forum General Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 10:19 AM
  2. Source tarball
    By skyphyr in forum Installation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 10:10 AM
  3. SSL Cert Problem using SOAP API
    By pbwebguy in forum Developers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 05:29 PM
  4. M3 problem with shares
    By titangears in forum Users
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 12:01 PM
  5. Zimbra on Debian?
    By omry_y in forum Installation
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •