Thread: nginx segfault

Exclamation nginx segfault

Hello people,

I just hit a dead end. I'm installing a master ldap server and two mailbox servers around it. Everything was going smoothly (matter of fact one of them is already running fine) but the other is having issues.

Machine is a brand new HP Proliant DL585 G2 with 16GB RAM, 4x dual-core AMD Opteron 1.8Ghz.

Running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) with updates subscription and all that. Kernel is 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5 #1 SMP

Installed Zimbra Release 5.0.13_GA_2791.RHEL5_64_20090206123226 RHEL5_64 FOSS edition

After the setup (included proxy), I went to try it out and Outlook seemed as if if was simply waiting, except it took forever and never downloaded anything. I saw all services up and running with zmcontrol so I went to check /var/log/messages for something else and guess what, it's filling every second with the same message:

Feb 13 11:50:29 svrgdlmail kernel: nginx[28206]: segfault at 0000000000000008 rip 0000000000412dee rsp 00007fff18a52ef0 error 4

The log entry is always the same except for the [pid].

żAny insight? Already searched forums for "nginx segfault" and got nowhere.

Thank you so much in advance.
    THINK, e v e r y t h i n g depends on it.

BTW, the other mailbox server is rather similar:

HP Proliant DL585 (no G2, this one has a few years on it), 4GB RAM, 4x AMD Opteron 2.5 Ghz (no multi-core).

This one's running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 Beta (Tikanga)

Installed exactly the same Zimbra tar: Release 5.0.13_GA_2791.RHEL5_64_20090206123226 RHEL5_64 FOSS edition

This one is running just great, without any problem, nginx proxy included.
    THINK, e v e r y t h i n g depends on it.

Default Same Problem

running zimbra (just upgraded to 5.0.16 on Ubuntu 6.06 (as a virtual xen host))

Keep receiving:

nginx[9875]: segfault at 0000000000000008 rip 00000000004135c9 rsp 00007fff7a57ed40 error 4

in the logfiles:

/var/log/syslog
    /var/log/kernel.log
    /var/log/messages

The logfiles keep filling up until no diskspace is left :-(

Zimbra works fine, except the zimbra-logging function. Could this be a hint?

Sorry, I am a newbee, hope there is help ;-)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by knarfomat View Post
    running zimbra (just upgraded to 5.0.16 on Ubuntu 6.06 (as a virtual xen host))
    How much RAM is allocated to this DomU (I assume that's where you're running Zimbra)? If this is a single server install why do you have the Proxy installed?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bil,

thanks for the quick reply!!

Ram: 1Gb dedicated to the Zimbra server (4Gb total in dom0) ( I was hoping that the minimum requirement would do it)

To be honest: I just took the standard installation and was not aware that a proxy is included?

actually dont need a proxy since it is a single server, static (public) IP. It runs in our university network (so behind a firewall) but we hadnt any problems with this. (just had to configure an external MTA for mail delivery)

We dont necessarily need all the extensions and (extensive) logging functions, is there a way to preserver memory by disabling logging & stats?

thanks a lot!!
    Frank

There is a proxy but you would have had to say 'yes' to an option during install. Anyway, check the following to see if the proxy is installed/running:

Code:
    zmproxyctl status
    zmprov gs server.domain.com | grep zimbraServiceEnabled
    zmprov gs server.domain.com | grep zimbraServiceInstalled
    If it's in, then run this:
    Code:
    zmproxyctl stop
    zmprov ms server.domain.com -zimbraServiceEnabled imapproxy
    zmcontrol stop
    zmcontrol start
    To reset the ports run the following (on one line):

Code:
    zmprov -l ms server.domain.com zimbraPop3BindPort 110 zimbraPop3SSLBindPort 995 zimbraPop3ProxyBindPort 7110 zimbraPop3SSLProxyBindPort 7995 zimbraImapBindPort 143 zimbraImapSSLBindPort 993 zimbraImapProxyBindPort 7143 zimbraImapSSLProxyBindPort 7993
    then restart There's details of reducing RAM usage on this page: Making Zimbra run on minimal RAM - Zimbra :: Wiki FOr testing, however, your current 1GB would be OK with the full product (except proixy ) installed. The aim of the exercise is to reduce RAM usage but not to cripple Zimbra, too low RAM will induce performance problems and make it unreliable and unresponsive.
    Regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

thanks again! It worked! The messages stopped after stopping the imapproxy!

I just thought the imapproxy is needed to retrieve messages via imap from external mail clients ? :-(

This service is very convincing, have a nice day!

regards,
    Frank

No, the proxy is not for IMAP retrieval it's for use in a multi-server install. Glad you've fixed it.
    Regards

Bill