Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: zmdailyreport returns nothing

Brian,

The goal is not to flame but limit folks who just come to ask and ask and ask without helping us help you. There are 100's of posts here each day and we read them all. A large % of them never offer enough information about the problem they see. So after we get enough info or multiple folks report the same issue we ask that the community files the bug. For paying customer and network trial folks we file the bugs on your behalf if you wish. For that service though you need to use the support system. Just so we can track the request and tie it to your customer information. Here in the forums it's more of a free for all. We have a mix of customers, prospects, tire kickers, and flamers. So the SLA (if you can call it that) is a bit looser. While we don't want to discourage your use of the forums your posts/request for info need to be a little tighter framed. So error on the side of too much information and help us understand what you've tried and what you are getting for errors etc.

So sorry if my 'file a bug' was taken as hostile but my quick read of your "me-too" post was that you can confirm the problem as stated so IMHO it was ready to be filed in the bugzilla.

WRT our support team they do their best to get back to folks ASAP. Taking a quick look at your most recent request doesn't seem like a super high-priority/urgent item so I'm sure other more critical issues were handled before it. Obviously if you had a critical P1 service affecting issue you'd want that prioritized above a question or minor defect.

As you said let's get back to the problem at hand.....

As John pointed out there is a related bug filed:

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6531

This bug will address the report not arriving to some folks when mailx is not installed. The intermittent issue is something relatively new with 3.1.1 and at this time we don't have enough info to reproduce it in house. ie it's not happening on our internal systems. If you or anyone else can help figure out what the exact cause is that would be helpful. Seems rdavisids is on the right track.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default More on empty report.

I have noticed that on a message "trail" screen that there seems to be a good number of "fail to append" messages as it applies to /var/log/zimbra.log

Permission denied.

I'll do a little more snooping when I get some time.

What OS are you on? We had some weird permissions issues on SuSE at one point.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

RHEL ES4 w/SE Linux

Does it still reproduce with SE Linux off?

Call me a dummy but I don't know how to disengage SE Linux without reloading OS. I can say that this machine was installed clean with SE Linux before installing Zimbra and there are no other applications (beyond needs for Zimbra) installed.

Ok guys and gals. I haven't tested with SE Linux off yet (I'm a one man IT shop here) but, This morning I got a report again. I have done nothing to the server during this month other than just looking at files (conf) and their permissions. No changes were made.

Here is the report. (message follows)

Generating report
    From 2006-05-30 00:00:00 to 2006-05-31 00:00:00

5 messages found for 5 recipients
    24434 total bytes
    4886.80 average bytes/msg
    1.00 average recipients/msg
    1.80 average delay/msg (sec)

Errors

Most active senders
    1 WGTqbOe@intdoc.com
    1 zimbra@mailhost.intdoc.com
    1 noreply@freshmeat.net
    1 echannellineUSA@echannelline.com
    1 llDICYV@intdoc.com

Most active recipients
    4 rdavis@intdoc.com
    2 dmyrick@intdoc.com
    1 wdeford@intdoc.com
    1 wsmith@intdoc.com

According to Postini (our outside filtering system) 234 emails were received (out of 753) and and 65 delivered.

Zimbra and Postini point to each other. All other email traffic is blocked at the firewall (in and out). So, the reports should be much closer.

We have Barracuda Clusters in front of our Zimbra install and we see the same issues with msg count being way off from the Barracuda vs the daily report which comes and goes ..

I also not msg trace feature does not work which makes me think this could be related.

There is at least one bug on the reports not being up-to-date at all times. If logger is not working then that will cause the reports to be wrong. I did a quick search of bugzilla but didn't find anything. If you have logger running and the report is still wrong feel free to add a bug to bugzilla.