Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Postfix/mail delivery problem

Default Postfix/mail delivery problem

I have my install squared away but I can't seem to get any mail. If I telnet to port 25 I get:

Trying 000.000.000.000...
    Connected to mail.server.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 mail.server.com ESMTP Postfix

I've tried sending mail to myself via the webinterface, I get nothing. I try seding mail by telnetting and doing it from there, I get:

250 Ok: queued as A0DA94A47B9

If I log into the server console and click on the mail queue I get an error:

2006-04-24 13:28:17,220 INFO [http-7071-Processor48] [ip=000.000.000.000;name=admin@server.com;] SoapEngine - handler exception
    com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException: system failure: exception during auth {RemoteManager: mail.server.com->zimbra@server.com:22}
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(Ser viceException.java:131)
    at com.zimbra.cs.rmgmt.RemoteManager.getSession(Remot eManager.java:192)
    at com.zimbra.cs.rmgmt.RemoteManager.execute(RemoteMa nager.java:129)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.GetMailQueueInfo.handl e(GetMailQueueInfo.java:55)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:255)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:163)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:84)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:228)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:709)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:154)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:802)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:126)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(A ccessLogValve.java:541)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:869)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11 ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProt ocol.java:667)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.process Socket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThr ead.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlR unnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: There was a problem while talking to server.com:22
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.Connection.connect(Connection.java:64 2)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.Connection.connect(Connection.java:46 0)
    at com.zimbra.cs.rmgmt.RemoteManager.getSession(Remot eManager.java:183)
    ... 24 more
    Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: server.com: server.com
    at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.jav a:1128)
    at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.jav a:1098)
    at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java :1061)
    at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:95 8)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.transport.TransportManager.createInet Address(TransportManager.java:156)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.transport.TransportManager.initialize (TransportManager.java:298)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.Connection.connect(Connection.java:59 1)
    ... 26 more

I have nothing in the logs in regards to postfix, at least not that I can find.
    Last edited by Sc00ter; 04-24-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Check /var/log/zimbra.log for postfix info. Do you have ssh installed? Is it on port 22? Any firewall?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Check /var/log/zimbra.log for postfix info. Do you have ssh installed? Is it on port 22? Any firewall?
    There is no mention of postfix in /var/log/zimbra.log.

I do have ssh installed, that's how I get to the server, it is on port 22

No firewall at all.

No dice, same error.

The ONLY thing in /var/log/zimbra.log is stuff about the services running.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I presume that you've edited the first post to remove your IP & servername? You're actually describing two problems in that first post.

Is you /etc/hosts file set-up correctly? Do you have a local DNS server installed? Can you resolve the hostname via DNS? In the Global Settings/MTA tab of the admin console is the 'enable DNS...' checked?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    I presume that you've edited the first post to remove your IP & servername? You're actually describing two problems in that first post.
    Yes, I have. I thought the two problems were related since they had to do with mail delivery and the mail queue being unaccessible.

Is you /etc/hosts file set-up correctly? Do you have a local DNS server installed? Can you resolve the hostname via DNS? In the Global Settings/MTA tab of the admin console is the 'enable DNS...' checked?
    /etc/hosts is setup correctly. I had to edit it since I'm using CentOS.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.123.210 mail.server.com mail

(It's currently behind our firewall for testing reasons. All traffic is happening behind the firewall.

Forward and reverse DNS is setup correctly and working.

Enable DNS is checked.

But this brings up a question...

I want users to login as user@server.com, not user@mail.server.com. I also want it to accept mail for server.com.

But, of course just server.com goes to a different IP address. Now I'm thinking that's my problem. I'm thinking that in one place I have just server.com where I need mail.server.com for the hostname.

What does this return:

host `hostname`
    zmprov gad (run as 'su - zimbra')

You also need to check your DNS, is it set-up like this?
    Regards

Bill

I think it's clear that I have a configuration error with trying to have the server name as mail.server.com, but having the user accounts and receive mail for server.com.

What does this return:

host `hostname`
    mail.server.com has address 192.168.123.210

zmprov gad (run as 'su - zimbra')
    server.com

You also need to check your DNS, is it set-up like this?
    Yes, my DNS server is setup correctly.

I am making some progress, if I go to the status page for mail queues I get some numbers rather then just loading (all zeros). But if I go to mail.server.com I get another error:

name: SyntaxError
    line: 442
    SourceURL: https://mail.server.com:7071/zimbraA...v=060414125850

When I try to login as user@server.com I get this:

2006-04-25 08:53:14,426 INFO [http-80-Processor100] [ip=192.168.123.192;name=user@server.com;] ZimbraContext - ServiceException while putting soap session refresh data
    com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException: operation sent to wrong host (you want 'server.com')
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException.WRONG_HOST( ServiceException.java:173)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.getMailboxById(Mailb ox.java:1074)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.getMailboxById(Mailb ox.java:1014)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.getMailboxByAccountI d(Mailbox.java:979)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.getMailboxByAccountI d(Mailbox.java:953)
    at com.zimbra.cs.session.SoapSession.putRefresh(SoapS ession.java:185)
    at com.zimbra.soap.ZimbraContext.generateResponseHead er(ZimbraContext.java:443)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:195)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:84)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:228)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:709)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:154)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:802)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:126)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(A ccessLogValve.java:541)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:869)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11 ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProt ocol.java:667)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.process Socket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThr ead.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlR unnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00ter
    I think it's clear that I have a configuration error with trying to have the server name as mail.server.com, but having the user accounts and receive mail for server.com.
    No, those names are correct and that's the way mine is set-up. I would still hazard a guess at a DNS set-up problem. Just for my peace of mind can you post the details of the files listed in the DNS link I gave you earlier - change any details you're not happy posting.
    Regards

Bill