Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new installation on Mac

Smile new installation on Mac

Hi. I really am very new to Macs having been a windows lad forever.
    I have purchased myself some Macs which are terrific and have come across this Zimbra which looks very very good.
    However I am having some problems with it as I do not have an underlying understanding of Unix/Linix. Having done most stuff through GUI's using bash and other CLI editors and understanding what is required to get Zimbra functioning is proving a daunting task at the moment.

I am having trouble with LDAP and also how to set up a split DNS. Waht I have read so far is not straight forward to me as it talks about Unix/Linux and not MAC. I know the OX is built on Unix/Linux, but it is rather complicated right now. I am learning however.

Can anyone give me a straight forward description on how to get my Zimbra computer working.
    It isnt on a public network. I have so far been to DYNDNS and created a dns entry so that it can see the name, but that doesnt fix it. Now the LDAP server doesnt want to work because it cant obviously find itself

Up until this point it has been very easy.

Can someone please enlighten a Windows user now turned Mac user on an easy way to get my Zimbra server up to speed please.

Many thanks in anticipation

Dave

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

You need to get your Split DNS set-up correctly before you go any further. The details for setting up a BIND (NAMED) server on your lan are in this article, obviously you'll have to modify that to your LAN subnet addresses and your LAN domain name. When you've got that set-up post again.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default install

Thanks Bill.
    This refers to OSX server.
    Is it the same commands for plain OSX 10.5?

Dave

Bill.
    I tried to follow those commands in that related link but they dont seem to match up when on MAC OSX 10.5. It talks about server stuff which this isnt.

Is there any other guides to split DNS on a MAC? I do want to learn this stuff. but it is not easy being a noob

Dave

I'm not sure if it'll help with split DNS per se but if you want to set up BIND on Mac OS you ought to check out webmin.

I've gotten Zimbra running on a Mac mini (non-server OS 10.4 and 10.5).
    Last edited by ewilen; 02-21-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Default OSX - Nix OS

Hi,
    After following these instructions or trying to and lacking the knowhow to do so, it seems that the commands referred t in the Split DNS wiki dont compare to Max OSX 10.5

I cant even locate the named.conf file let alone edit it.
    I found a little app called DNS help which was pretty much no use.
    Now I am confused.
    and it still failing starting LDAP.
    I have read and reread stuff all over the place but it isnt simple for a new user to Nix OS systems.

I would love some help here if someone is willing to guide me.

David

Again I'd suggest webmin. Or you could google for running bind on leopard. I just came across something called "DNS Enabler for Leopard". Unlike webmin it costs $15, but it looks easier to get running. I'm sure it just auomates changing a few files.

Default webmin and dns enabler

Thanks Ellen
    I have tried both of them
    Webmin is more difficult to get running
    DNs enabler is easy, but it still doesn't solve the issue of LDAP
    And it seems that everyone is supposed to know how to use Nix operating systems. I am a complete noob who wants to learn. I have used Windows for 20+ years. Now I am wanting to go to MACOS which is Nix based. I cant see why someone hasn't wrriten a pure guide to use Zimbra on a macos system
    for everyone to say that just follow this nix guide means nothing when the commands don't work on OSX terminal under bash. those directories aren't even listed.

I really don't understand why it is so hard for people to help a complete noob who wants to learn

Frustrated is what i am

if you got it working then do you think you could give me a guide to getting it to work on my Imac?

Dave

Elliot...not Ellen

Anyway, if you've got DNS enabler doing its thing, then as far as I recall from my installations, there's no special ldap stuff to do. You just need to set up a DNS zone, create an A record for your mac, have your mac point to itself under network settings as DNS server, and then the installer should work.

EDIT: I remember having to feel my way through some of the Mac instructions, and I'm sure I was helped by previous experience with Mac and Unix, as well as DNS. So I understand your frustration but I don't personally have time to type up my notes in a usable form right now. Instead if you can just point to the instructions that you're following, describe what you've done, and what you see when it stops working, then I or someone might be able to give you a hand.

BTW, all my installs have been Network Edition trial versions. If you're installing Open Source, I can't imagine it would be much different, but I haven't set it up myself.
    Last edited by ewilen; 02-24-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Default errors on re-install

Elliot,
    This is where I am at right now.
    I tried to remove Zimbra and re-install from a fresh package.
    I have DNS enabler running instead of trying to do the split dns thing.
    But for some reason I am now getting this error collection popping up

Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.03022009-225321.log
    Checking java version...1.5 found
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    Setting defaults...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    done.
    Upgrading from to 5.0.13_GA_2791
    Stopping zimbra services
    Verifying /opt/zimbra/conf/my.cnf
    Starting mysql
    mysql startup failed with exit code 1
    UPGRADE FAILED - exiting
    bash-3.2#