Thread: Zimbra Imap with Proxy User

Default Zimbra Imap with Proxy User

Hi,

I want to sync my IMAP users periodically to another IMAP server. I want to use Imapsync. But does Zimbra-Imap support any proxy user so that I can login as one account and sync all my IMAP users.

Thanks,
    Prashanth

Our admin UI allows you to proxy login on the web UI but not sure it will work on IMAP. You could try logging in as the admin user but it's not something I've tried.

May I ask why you want to sync to another IMAP server? Any reason you just don't move the mail once and let users connect to Zimbra? Seems like a much simpler and less resource intensive setup.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Our admin UI allows you to proxy login on the web UI but not sure it will work on IMAP. You could try logging in as the admin user but it's not something I've tried.

May I ask why you want to sync to another IMAP server? Any reason you just don't move the mail once and let users connect to Zimbra? Seems like a much simpler and less resource intensive setup.

This is for user's mailbox backup. I need this feature for taking the backup periodically.
    I tried with admin but its not working.

Any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by prash
    This is for user's mailbox backup. I need this feature for taking the backup periodically.
    I tried with admin but its not working.

Any suggestions ?
    Well you could take a real backup. In the OSS Edition you'll need to stop the server to get a clean copy of /opt/zimbra. In the Network Edition there are tools for hot/online backup. Both those options are much better than imapsync since they will get all the account data, calendar, contacts, tags, searches, etc. imapsync will only get the mail and read/unread status.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Well you could take a real backup. In the OSS Edition you'll need to stop the server to get a clean copy of /opt/zimbra. In the Network Edition there are tools for hot/online backup. Both those options are much better than imapsync since they will get all the account data, calendar, contacts, tags, searches, etc. imapsync will only get the mail and read/unread status.
    I agree with you. But my requirement is mail archival per user every month.
    In the solution which you suggested, how can I recover a single or group of messages for a specific user ?

I agree with you. But my requirement is mail archival per user every month.
    In the solution which you suggested, how can I recover a single or group of messages for a specific user ?
    In both cases the snapshot's can be dated. In the Network case you can restore/recover mailboxes on per user basis.

In both cases the snapshot's can be dated. In the Network case you can restore/recover mailboxes on per user basis.
    But you didn't answer my question. How can we restore specific messages back to the user's inbox in Open Source Edition ?

But you didn't answer my question. How can we restore specific messages back to the user's inbox in Open Source Edition ?
    You would need to restore an entire backup.