Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Won't receive mail after server restart

Unhappy Won't receive mail after server restart

My server is running OpenSUSE 10.3, and Zimbra 5..

I had everything working nicely, then had to restart the server.. since my mail hasn't been coming through (can still send out however).
    I've checked the mail queue, and all my messages are sitting as deferred with a 'connection refused' error referring to the domain name and the external IP.

I have checked the zimbra log, but can't really see anything in there that stands out as a problem. I've checked the hosts file it has:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 sausddesigns.com sausddesigns

do I need both?

All the zimbra services have started up, I've tried restarting the server again - no joy.

I also did a search on the error, came up with some info but nothing that actually helped me solve the problem on my setup.

Any ideas?

I just tried to re-queue all the messages in the deferred queue, I now have another error with some of the messages which says "delivery temporary suspended"

The others are still on the error described in my previous post..

And now 5 mins later.. all messages are "mail transport unavailable" yet the server status shows the MTA is running

Default Hosts file.

You need the IP address of your machine resolving to the FQDN of your machine in the hosts file. If you are behind a NAT router you will need to set up split DNS as well.

Thanks I've done that.. however its still telling me that mail transport is unavailable.

I've checked the server status, both through the admin inface and using zmcontrol status both say the MTA is running.

Is there anything else I can check?

Bump...
    I actually suspected I would have gotten more responses than this - and the problem would have been resolved quickly... Please.. Any other suggestions?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    Bump...
    I actually suspected I would have gotten more responses than this - and the problem would have been resolved quickly... Please.. Any other suggestions?
    Did you search the forums, the wiki or read the product installation guide? Any of those would have told you that the hosts file (as you've listed it in your first post) is completely wrong. I assume you have a DNS serevr set-up on your LAN? What is the FQDN of your zimbra server.

Fix the hosts file and then run the following commands on the zimbra server and post the output:

Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    dig sausddesigns.com mx
    dig sausddesigns.com any

host `hostname`  <-- type that command exactly as you see it using backticks noit single quotes.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I did actually search the forums.. I did also read that page you've got the link on..

However.. it would appear that the server has got more problems than just in Zimbra aside from it not working Yast wont open either..

I'm not trying to be difficult, but if you say that my hosts file is completely wrong, can you tell me how it was working before I restarted the server? - everything was going perfectly.. I just find it a little strange that it worked until being restarted and your telling me the hosts file is totally wrong I would have thought it would have never worked at all if the hosts file was screwy?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I've no idea how why it worked before as I don't know what you did to DNS or Zimbra during or after the install to make it work. You din't really provide much information about whether this was a new install an upgrade nor how long the server has been running and nothing from the log files. It helps to see some error messages and/or diagnostic information as that will give a more accurate picture of the problem they're experiencing.

I don't know if you've seen this but openSUSE will no longer be supported after the current 5.x series of ZImbra - that means no binary builds will be available.

The problem you've currently got is that Zimbra (postfix) can't find the IP address of the server, hence the 'MTA transport...' error. You do not use localhost & the domain name for the Zimbra server (in the hosts file) as you would have seen in the link I gave you, it should be a valid LAN IP & the FQDN of your server and you need a local DNS server to resolve that address.

I would have thought the fact you're having problems with YaST to be unrelated to the Zimbra problem.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I wasn't trying to relate Zimbra & Yast - just saying that I've got some bigger problem going on thats bigger than just zimbra.

I didnt know about OpenSUSE no longer being supported either.. however due to the bigger problem mentioned above, perhaps its time to reload the server and choose a different version of linux that will be supported - any recommendations on which version?

As for the install, it was a new install not a upgrade or anything.. but I'm thinking now just reload and set it up again from scratch.. with Yast falling over, I wouldn't be sure that nothing else wouldn't..