Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra 6.0 evaluation?

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra 6.0 evaluation?

It's been long enough since there *was* a Zimbra beta to evaluate that I'm curious what the process is going to be for the new Zimbra 6.0. (I wasn't in a place where I could investigate Zimbra the last time there was a beta.)

The beta for 6.0 has been pushed out a few times. It's new release date was set for yesterday (Apr 13th) but hasn't posted yet. Whenever they are ready to post it, the beta should be freely available for everyone to pick at on their website. I'm sure they'll post an announcement when it becomes available, also.

Ah, all right. I wasn't sure if the beta was going to be freely available, or if it would require signing up somewhere. Thanks very much!

At least I assume it will be freely available, as the ones in the past have been. It's their best way to get feedback and bug reports on it; I'm excited to try it!

Patience is a virtue

it'll be out very very soon. Eminent, as they say.

We're finishing up some last minute testing to make sure there aren't any serious issues that pop up.

6.0 introduces a ton of new features for the Open Source edition as well as the Network edition.

Usually, if we know it's going to be postponed, then we'll post an announcement. In this case, we haven't...thus 6.0 beta 1 is nigh.

Just curious, when I check out the info on Zimbra 6.0 it suggests it will no longer be offered on OSX 10.4 (Tiger). I'm currently running this (Intel Based), is it true 6.0 won't be available for Tiger users? If not, any idea how tough the migration to 10.5 will be? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nufan View Post
    Just curious, when I check out the info on Zimbra 6.0 it suggests it will no longer be offered on OSX 10.4 (Tiger). I'm currently running this (Intel Based), is it true 6.0 won't be available for Tiger users? If not, any idea how tough the migration to 10.5 will be? Thanks
    I went from Tiger to Leopard at home with no issues. But I'm a pretty basic user on my Mac and very little third party software.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrabander View Post
    I went from Tiger to Leopard at home with no issues. But I'm a pretty basic user on my Mac and very little third party software.
    I was more meaning from the server side, as I understand version 6.0 won't be offered on 10.4. Of course this isn't really a big deal until the Final version is released as I won't be running a Beta in production, but was just curious if this was accurate or not and how hard the transition of 10.4 to 10.5 would be. Not so much from the OS point of view but from the Zimbra point of view. Eg. would it be a full zimbra backup on 10.4, format and install 10.5 os, install zimbra 6.0, then restore accounts from the backup?

Quote Originally Posted by nufan View Post
    I was more meaning from the server side, as I understand version 6.0 won't be offered on 10.4. Of course this isn't really a big deal until the Final version is released as I won't be running a Beta in production, but was just curious if this was accurate or not and how hard the transition of 10.4 to 10.5 would be. Not so much from the OS point of view but from the Zimbra point of view. Eg. would it be a full zimbra backup on 10.4, format and install 10.5 os, install zimbra 6.0, then restore accounts from the backup?
    ZCS 6.0 will support Mac OSX v10.4 (Tiger). The EOL listings at pm.zimbra.com indicate this is the last version of ZCS that we will support on those OS's.

Migrating from 10.4 -> 10.5 can be done in several ways. Backup/Restore is one. You should also be able to disable ZCS startup. Upgrade the OS (don't select archive and install), and then upgrade ZCS to the same version but with the 10.5 packages.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!