Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS walk through?

Quote Originally Posted by shmiv View Post
    Carboncow,

We installed on Ubuntu 6... LTS and I have the internal document we developed during the process. Will gladly send to you if you want to step back to an older version of Ubuntu.

Also, while I actually prefer VI, WinSCP has a built in editor that is similar to Notepad.
    Thank you for your solution and expertise on an editor. I think I should consider your option with U6 as I saw a write-up out there with that server too!

Please send any link or documentation you will kindly share. I will also find out what WinSCP is about.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Here's a typical (no insult intended here) mistake, the FQDN of your server is not domain.com (that is your domain name) but rather it is mail.domain.com and the MX record points to the FQDN of your server and the A record points to the IP your server sits on. The details of what goes in the hosts file is in the Quick Start Installation Guide and has been covered by me and others at great length - it is the same for all of the install platforms of Zimbra.
    No offense taken, I know Newbies can suck and whine to much!

I was spot on with my understanding of the DNS then based on your comments, but found it confusing reading others description. Look up definitions of FQDN and you see confusion there if it should be domain.com or mail.domain.com! MX and A record I understand too.

1. My first problem is in fact with the DNS config which you clarified.
    2. My 2nd issue with my skill and understanding of editing (and which editing solution to use, which is coming along.
    3. More importantly I am now stuck at how to best download, tar and install the latest build! That is why I am back to the Documentation from the website for a solution and that is where I sit.

I will review your suggestion with centOS and I am working with the open source version of ZCS but have not downloaded it to the 8.04 box yet, it's on my laptop! I have stepped away from the hands on and have been reading for the last two hours. I will get back into the lab and move forward.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
    GEDIT appears to be another 101 ways to edit in a Linux environment that I am not familar with.
    I recommended gedit because it is just like wordpad

Quote Originally Posted by RyecoAaron View Post
    I recommended gedit because it is just like wordpad
    I am trying WinSCP at the moment per recommenation and liking it, but yet another problem...

I have used the FTP to move the ZCS.tar to my Ubuntu Box in /var/temp and run the tar xzyf xxx.tar as required. I watch the package unload in the terminal but then cannot find the unpackaged files!!! The steps say to cd to the folder that is created but I don't see it. I looked in /var /root/ & /usr...

The confusion never ends...

The files should be in /var/temp/zcs...

Are you using zimbra 5.0.x?

yes I am. After a reboot of the server I found the MIA folder and when I run the ./install.sh file get 4 missing services!!!

libpcre3
    libgmp3c2
    libstdc++5
    libltdl3

(whatever those are...)

Any advice on this step that won't take me 4 more hours to research and impliment. I think I might have to walk away from the day if you got no easy solution as the documentation provides no steps other then "I must fix the problems and start the installer again..."

EDIT:

Ok, got this figured out in short order good news...
    Last edited by carboncow; 04-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Look at section 4.3 item 8 in the document I sent you.

Now I got the (to no great surprise)...

DNS ERROR resolving MX for mail.xxx.net

where was I supposed to setup the MX record in /etc/hosts?!!??! So I enter YES at he prompt...it tosses up my exisitng MX record and then just repeats the error message...a loop.

I look back at the /etc/hosts shows that my that mail.domain.net points back to 10.0.0.1 and a ping confirms this.

Where did I miss an MX record setup in the OS/DNS? and yes I have a MX record in the internet world...but I know that is not the need.

wow! every step is a project...

DNS records are set in your internal dns server. this should be different box than your zimbra box.

Quote Originally Posted by shmiv View Post
    DNS records are set in your internal dns server. this should be different box than your zimbra box.
    hahahah! So the plot thickens...

Am I not setting up this box to be the DNS server in the Zimbra admin.

This is a test environment with a firewall and this Ubuntu box, nothing else. I was told NOT to setup the Ubuntu box as DNS server as Zimbra would configure such needs.

Therefor the DNS setup for MX/A records has to be on this box!

Where can I find the 6.06 and go that direction with your write-up, 8.04 is useless.

EDIT: When I sent up the Ubuntu Server Box I only set DNS to my firewall 10.0.0.254...again expecting Zimbra to setup my internal DNS needs with this box. Should I have installed DNS in the setup of Ubuntu instead for internal/self needs?
    Last edited by carboncow; 04-22-2009 at 02:18 PM.