Thread: Adding a second server

Default Adding a second server

I need help setting up a second mail server.

Here's the scenario:

I currently have everything running on one server called mail1. I'm running out of space on that server. I've purchased a second server with plenty of space. I'm ready to set it up. I'm calling it mail2. I have the OS installed and the Zimbra packages downloaded. I'm using the exact same OS/version and Zimbra version.

I would like to move mailboxes from the current server (mail1) to the new server (mail2) to free up space.

Here's the documentation I've been using to come up with a plan:
    - Installation-Planning for Multi-Server Install - Zimbra :: Wiki
    - Preferred Method of Moving Users To New Machine (zmmailboxmove - Network Edition Only - Zimbra :: Wiki)

I have an idea of what I need to do, but I still have some questions before I can proceed with installation.

1) What services do I need to install on the second server (mail2)?
    2) Do I need to use Zimbra Proxy? If so, I did not install it on the current server (mail1). Do I just run the installer again with Zimbra Proxy enabled on mail1 (before setting up the second server)?
    3) After the second server is setup and users are migrated, when they login to the webmail will it still have the current server as the host (mail1) or will it be on mail2? Basically will the URL be mail2.mydomain.com or will it remain main1.mydomain.com for users whose mailboxes are on mail2? I'm trying to prepare for any DNS/firewall changes I might need to make. I would like to make it so users really aren't exposed to mail2 and it's something that's used between the Zimbra servers.

I plan on doing this tomorrow. So any quick advice would be appreciated.

Here are my assumptions and my plan as of know. Maybe someone could just confirm that that this is a good idea. I want to do what is simplest and my only goal is to free up space on the current server.

1) I am going to bring down the current server (mail1) and install Zimbra Proxy.
    2) I am going to bring that server back up. I'm not aware of anything configuration-wise I need to do.
    3) I am going to install the following packages on the second second server (mail2): Core, Proxy, LDAP, Store, SNMP.... Spell?
    4) I am going to more or less follow this guide in term of setting it up: Preferred Method of Moving Users To New Machine (zmmailboxmove - Network Edition Only - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Notes that I have made from that guide:
    - zimbra-snmp: Installing SNMP is optional, but if installed it must be on all servers. I have it installed on the main server. So that is why I am installing it on the second server.
    - When you configure the Zimbra server, from the Main menu select zimbra-store. Then select 9) Enable POP/IMAP proxy. This sets the feature to yes. I am going to do this on both server, if I understand correctly.

I plan on doing this in the next few hours. So any advice or confirmation of this plan would be appreciateed.

Thanks!

I'd be interested in this, too!
    Please post any success or failures and how you did what...
    Thanks.

Any infos? Is there a guide for increasing performance/storage by adding a second server to an existing one?

I'm working with Zimbra Support right now.

Once we get it all setup and working, I'll post how we did it.

OK, great!
    Thanks...

Default How did it go?

Just curious about how did you get this working? I was searching on the same topic when I saw this thread.