Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAID setup for ~50 users

Thanks everyone for the input on your configs. Very helpful! I have a question regarding primary fast storage and secondary storage for HSM and backups.
    Currently /opt/zimbra is 270GBs on my server and does not include backups. Backups are 190GB on a separate volume. I have 45 users right now with 15GB quotas although most folks are around 5GBs. My target is 60 users max at 15GB so 900GB storage needed there.

My question is how can I look at my current setup and figure out how much fast primary storage I need? Fast meaning RAID1/RAID10 on 15K SAS drives and secondary storage would be on near-line SAS RAID1/RAID10.

I can only speak from my own experience : considering the amount of user you have, a pair of 15K SAS disks in RAID1 is fast enough for primary storage.

If you send/receive several dozen thousands of mail per day, I might be wrong...

But I'd rather add 4GB of RAM (and put the amavis temp directory in RAM, less than 1GB needed) than a do a RAID10 with four 15K SAS.

Thanks Klug. Is there a way I can look at my setup and determine how much of the 270GBs would actually be stored on a secondary (HSM) volume? My current server is a 2850 w/ SCSI drives only. Looking to upgade to a 1950 or 2950 with 15K SAS across the board. If I go w/ a 1950, I will get a PowerVault to add storage capacity.

For my setup could something like this work?

15k SAS RAID 1 146GB
    OS (CentOS 5.3)
    /opt/zimbra/store
    /opt/zimbra/log

7.2K NearLine SAS RAID10 2.1TB
    /opt/zimbra
    /opt/zimbra/backup
    HSM
    Last edited by jpbuse; 05-05-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Updated raid config

Put /opt/zimbra on the SAS array, it's easier (you need indexes to be there).

In order to guess which part of your current mails will go to HSM, you can do a search in a couple mailboxes: search all mails older than one month (if you decide to use HSM with one month "delay") and look at the weight of these mails.

How long have you been storing mails ?

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    How long have you been storing mails ?
    We've been using ZCS for a year now however mail from +2 years ago was migrated over to ZCS. My users are pack rats and store pretty much everything until they get the quota notice from ZCS.

My users will file their mail by client and job (advertising agency) and will often reference those emails on a daily basis. For the most part the frequently used emails are within 30 days but often will extend up to 90 days.

[QUOTE=jpbuse;136974]Thanks Klug. Is there a way I can look at my setup and determine how much of the 270GBs would actually be stored on a secondary (HSM) volume? My current server is a 2850 w/ SCSI drives only. Looking to upgade to a 1950 or 2950
    ========

Just a quick comment on the 1950 vs 2950 - we have 2 Dell 1U servers, and 8 of the 2950 servers. Now that most of our storage is on a SAN, the primary reason for continuing with the 2950s is for the dual power supplies. We've lost more power supplies than disks in the past 12 years, and having dual power also gives us flexibility to supply power from separate sources during transitions. (we have power feeds from two different sources + genset + UPS). Just something to consider.

The 1950 also exists with dual hotplug PSU, their remplacement (R610) too.
    The "tinier" R300 (single CPU) too.
    Only the R200 does not exist with single, non hot-plug PSU.

Big interest of 2950 against 1950 is the number of PCIe ports.