Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Server, Drive RAID/Partitioning Assistance Please

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    Put in a pair of NearLine SAS or SATA (750GB or 1 TB or even more) for HSM, still in RAID1. Or four 500GB in RAID10.
    I don't think the Dell PowerEdge servers will work with SAS and Near-Line SAS in the same chasis unless you are using something like an external PowerVault MD1000. Don't believe you can mix and match or at least it is not recommended. Curious why you went w/ 146GB SAS and not something larger. I understand the cost of the larger drives plus the smaller drives will give you better performance.

I ended up getting a 2950 w/ 3x 450GB SAS 15k drives. That is what I had budget for right now. I am going to do RAID1 w/ hot spare to give me 450GB / volume. I will be using NFS for backups. I won't be using HSM at this time. Once I need more storage I can either add 3 more SAS drives in RAID1 for HSM or invest in a MD1000 w/ near-line drives to give me greater scalability. I couldn't swing the MD1000 right now and quite frankly can survive for 9+ months w/o any extra storage. Easy to add later.

Quote Originally Posted by quietas View Post
    What I have to work with is 6x 146 gb drives. HSM to larger drives will have to wait unfortunately. I plan for a storage server (I doubt I can swing a SAN, too $$$) with a tape drive. I'll route backups there later.
    If the server is located on-site and drives can be swapped out quickly then you can decide not to go with a hot-spare. My server is in a datacenter 30miles away and I wanted to make sure I had a hot-spare in the chassis.

So, you could go with RAID1 146GB w/ hot spare for OS, primary store. Then you could put the other 3 drives in RAID5 giving you 300GB for HSM and backups. RAID1 is best for rebuilding vs RAID5.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbuse View Post
    I don't think the Dell PowerEdge servers will work with SAS and Near-Line SAS in the same chasis unless you are using something like an external PowerVault MD1000.
    AFAIK it does and it's supported.

What is not officially supported is SAS with SATA. You can not order one server with both types of disks but you can order a server with SAS and add "additionnal" SATA drivers.
    However, it works very well and support handles it (it did for us).

When I was configuring a 2950 recently on the Dell site, I was allowed to mix SAS and SATA drives, as long they weren't in the same array.

So, you could go with RAID1 146GB w/ hot spare for OS, primary store. Then you could put the other 3 drives in RAID5 giving you 300GB for HSM and backups. RAID1 is best for rebuilding vs RAID5.
    What I'm doing, with a similar setup, is putting everything on RAID 10 on 4 drives with a hotspare (5 drives in all).

Curious why you went w/ 146GB SAS and not something larger. I understand the cost of the larger drives plus the smaller drives will give you better performance.
    Essentially I had $5k to work with, I squeaked by with only a few dollars to spare as it was. I did make it a provision though that the storage would be reassessed in 6 months. One reason I wanted to separate the the drives into to RAIDs was also to make it easier to replace the 4x146 array with a 4x300 (or larger) when needed. Shoestring budget is an understatement for what I have to work with.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

AFAIK it does and it's supported.

What is not officially supported is SAS with SATA. You can not order one server with both types of disks but you can order a server with SAS and add "additionnal" SATA drivers.
    However, it works very well and support handles it (it did for us).
    Interesting, thanks for the info. Conflicting information out there. Just found out from DELL that I can use SAS and NL SAS in the 2950 but they need to be in different RAID sets. Dell says no on SAS SATA combo in the 2950 but sounds like it would be work regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by quietas View Post
    Essentially I had $5k to work with, I squeaked by with only a few dollars to spare as it was. I did make it a provision though that the storage would be reassessed in 6 months. One reason I wanted to separate the the drives into to RAIDs was also to make it easier to replace the 4x146 array with a 4x300 (or larger) when needed. Shoestring budget is an understatement for what I have to work with.
    Yeah it's tough but commonplace these days. You're not alone. Just for comparison, I ordered a 2950 2x2.5G quad-xeon, 16GB ram, 3x 450GB SAS 15k, dual power, rails, no os for $4300 out the door. I had $4500 budget to work with immediately w/ more budget coming within 6 months for additional storage. Can easily add 3x 1TB NL SAS in here in RAID1 for HSM and backup

Just found out from DELL that I can use SAS and NL SAS in the 2950 but they need to be in different RAID sets.
    Exactly.

Dell says no on SAS SATA combo in the 2950 but sounds like it would be work regardless.
    Flawlessly, I have several 2950-III and 2900-III working like this :
    . 2x146 GB SAS 15K + 2x750 GB SATA2 7.2K
    . 2x300 GB SAS 15K + 2x750 GB SATA2 7.2K
    . 2x146 GB SAS 15K + 4x500 GB SATA2 7.2K

Flawlessly, I have several 2950-III and 2900-III working like this :
    . 2x146 GB SAS 15K + 2x750 GB SATA2 7.2K
    . 2x300 GB SAS 15K + 2x750 GB SATA2 7.2K
    . 2x146 GB SAS 15K + 4x500 GB SATA2 7.2K
    Figures! Way to up sell Dell? Thanks for the information. This forum truly rules... and Zimbra is pretty cool too!