Thread: [SOLVED] Fresh zcs 6.0 BETA 1 / centos5 / split DNS

Default [SOLVED] Fresh zcs 6.0 BETA 1 / centos5 / split DNS

OK, I have been running this system with virtual domains in a quasi production environment for a little over a week. System is running in secure mode. Force dns lookups on 53.

System is running well as we send and receive emails all around the world. godaddy is the public dns admin.

so our zimbra looks like this
    mail.domainname.com
    mail.virtualname1.com
    mail.virtualname2.com

user1@mail.virtualname1.com sends and receives email to this address without a problem. I have set an alias for mail.virtualname1.com to virtalname1.com.

For the life of me I can not find anything in the logs for why user1@virtualname1.com is getting bounced back by the zimbra server stating "554 5.7.1" relay access denied.

It works fine for user1@mail.virtualname1.com. I am at wits end.

virtualname1.com is set as a domain alias for mail.virtualname1.com.

The non response to this problem makes me think that there is a bug in the zcs 6 BETA1 code but no one is stepping up to confirm. Hello?

did you create domain alias using "zmprov createAliasDomain"

Managing Domains - Zimbra :: Wiki

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Hi raj, I used the administration web interface to create the alias virtualname1.com for domain mail.virtualname1.com

Does that feature in the web admin not work?

Hi again Raj, I am thinking, to avoid any damage that I should perform the following.

1. Log into web admin and delete the domain alias virtualname1.com for domain mail.virtualname1.com

2. start a server terminal session as zimbra

3. zmcontrol stop

4. zmcontrol start

5. zmprov createAliasDomain {virtualname1.com} {mail.virtualname1.com}
    i.e. zmprov createAliasDomain virtualname1.com mail.virtualname1.com - no curly brackets.

please confirm and thank you.

i dont have zcs 6 beta installed..but if you try what you have listed then i presume it should work..you may need to restart after the "createAliasDomain " command

if it does then please file a bug in bugzilla or confirm here and someone from our side will do it for you.

Thanks
    Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

ok, compled the zmprov command and restarted zimbra. received lengthy hex return string... I assume that is good.

new error message on email bounce...

Final-Recipient: rfc822;user1@virtualname1.com
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

Log states... exact same message as above
    Last edited by powrrrplay; 05-13-2009 at 10:21 AM.

OK, Raj got me pointed in the right direction but there is more to it. Here it is, the dirty on zimbra and domain alias'.

If you have set up your domains and virtual domains DNS as (examples):
    mail.domainname.com
    mail.virtualname1.com
    mail.virtualname2.com ... etc. etc

but you want your users to be able to give out email addresses
    like user1@virtualname1.com ... and
    not like user1@mail.virtualname1.com

This is what you need to do.

1. Do not use the administrator web interface to create a domain alias.

2. Use the terminal command prompt interface and su zimbra.

3. Create domain alias', with out the quotes, for each domain, using this command.
    "createAliasDomain domainname.com mail.domainname.com"
    "createAliasDomain virtualname1.com mail.virtualname1.com"
    "createAliasDomain virtualname2.com mail.virtualname2.com" ... etc. etc. for all your virtual domains.

Each time you enter the createAliasDomain command you will get back a hex string. I do not know what this is for.

4. You are not done yet. I did not have to restart my zimbra (zmcontrol stop | start) but you may want to do this right now.

5. Now log into the Administrator web console, go to Manage Accounts, click Accounts for a list of your fully qualified account names.

6. For each fully qualified account name that you want to send and receive email as the "alias" (i.e. without the dot mail in their fully qualified account name) you need to do this:
    a) Click once on the account name for which you want to edit; fully qualified account name then becomes highlighted
    b) Click the edit icon (or right mouse click fully qualified account name for drop down menu and click edit)
    c) Working within the "General Information" tab go to the Canonical Address field and enter the alias address. i.e user1@virtualname1.com
    d) Go to the "Aliases" tab and click it.
    e) Working within the "Aliases" tab:
    • Click the "Add" button. A pop up will appear titled "Add Alias"
    • In the first field (left) enter the users name, i.e. user1 (or bob.jones?)
    • In the second field (right, after the "@") type in the alias domain name. i.e. virtualname1.com
      *note that as you type in the second field zimbra is going to suggest fully qualified domain names. Force your alias domain name; without the dot mail! Be patient with the zimbra ajax interface.
    • When finished click the "OK" button then
    • Click the "Save" button

This worked for me. External email communication is now conducted completely without the hideous dot mail in front of the domain/virtual name.com. Good luck, a little more administration than meets the eye!
    Last edited by powrrrplay; 05-18-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powrrrplay View Post
    OK, Raj got me pointed in the right direction but there is more to it. Here it is, the dirty on zimbra and domain alias'.

If you have set up your domains and virtual domains DNS as (examples):
    mail.domainname.com
    mail.virtualname1.com
    mail.virtualname2.com ... etc. etc

but you want your users to be able to give out email addresses
    like user1@virtualname1.com ... and
    not like user1@mail.virtualname1.com

This is what you need to do.

1. Do not use the administrator web interface to create a domain alias.

2. Use the terminal command prompt interface and su zimbra.

3. Create domain alias', with out the quotes, for each domain, using this command.
    "createAliasDomain domainname.com mail.domainname.com"
    "createAliasDomain virtualname1.com mail.virtualname1.com"
    "createAliasDomain virtualname2.com mail.virtualname2.com" ... etc. etc. for all your virtual domains.

Each time you enter the createAliasDomain command you will get back a hex string. I do not know what this is for.

4. You are not done yet. I did not have to restart my zimbra (zmcontrol stop | start) but you may want to do this right now.

5. Now log into the Administrator web console, go to Manage Accounts, click Accounts for a list of your fully qualified account names.

6. For each fully qualified account name that you want to send and receive email as the "alias" (i.e. without the dot mail in their fully qualified account name) you need to do this:
    a) Click once on the account name for which you want to edit; fully qualified account name then becomes highlighted
    b) Click the edit icon (or right mouse click fully qualified account name for drop down menu and click edit)
    c) Working within the "General Information" tab go to the Canonical Address field and enter the alias address. i.e user1@virtualname1.com
    d) Go to the "Aliases" tab and click it.
    e) Working within the "Aliases" tab:
    • Click the "Add" button. A pop up will appear titled "Add Alias"
    • In the first field (left) enter the users name, i.e. user1 (or bob.jones?)
    • In the second field (right, after the "@") type in the alias domain name. i.e. virtualname1.com
      *note that as you type in the second field zimbra is going to suggest fully qualified domain names. Force your alias domain name; without the dot mail! Be patient with the zimbra ajax interface.
    • When finished click the "OK" button then
    • Click the "Save" button

This worked for me. External email communication is now conducted completely without the hideous dot mail in front of the domain/virtual name.com. Good luck, a little more administration than meets the eye!
    I also had to manually add each domain alias on every account. I thought the create domain alias was suppose to take care of this, so you did not have to go into every account. Is this a bug?

Thanks!
    Eric J Lynner
    Dynamic Business Solutions

“Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your mind.”
    – Donald Knuth